Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

802.1x without web authentication

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  802.1x without web authentication

Posted Nov 14, 2014 03:34 AM

Hİ all,

I wonder can I use 802.1x authentication type without using web authentication. I only want that client to get authenticate with their Domain Name and Password.

If it is possible how should we need to configure the Aruba Controller 7220. Do we need to configure anything on menu of Configuration in Top, and Wireless menu in the left side, with Domain name of this place and  in AAA menu there is 802.1x, or how?

Thanks,

Best Regards

• 2.  RE: 802.1x without web authentication

Posted Nov 14, 2014 03:41 AM

Hi,

Sorry I mean Configuration, Security and AAA menu

Thanks

• 3.  RE: 802.1x without web authentication

Posted Nov 14, 2014 04:52 AM

First of all you should add your radius servers to server group in your controller(Configuration>Authentication>Servers>Radius Server. Then under VAP profile, you shoud point this server group in aaa profile related to your profile.

Then your initial role(role before authentication) for your users should be logon and Default Role for 802.1x Authentication(role after 802.1x authentication) must be authenticated.

Check for your Captive Portal authentication. And disable it if neccesarry. 

Optionally, you can use Aruba Controller's internal server for radius services.

• 4.  RE: 802.1x without web authentication

Posted Nov 14, 2014 04:58 AM

Thanks for your reply,

Yes I already done all those configuration. I can connect to wifi via cellular phone, but, can not connect with my laptop or another PC. I think there is PAP authentication problem. 

I download securew2 program, after that I am able to connect to wifi via my PC. This is a campus, so, I dont want to force all students to download this program.

Thanks

Best Regards

• 5.  RE: 802.1x without web authentication

Posted Nov 14, 2014 06:06 AM

Can you detail the problem a little bit more. It seems that I misunderstand the problem. What is the complaint of users? What is happening when they try to access to wireless network?

• 6.  RE: 802.1x without web authentication

Posted Nov 14, 2014 06:46 AM

I have try to authentication via RADIUS with wpa2. I config RADIUS on Aruba Controller. Telephones are authenticate with PAP authentication as a default if I am not wrong. But PCs authenticate default is not PAP. When laptop clients try to access to network with wifi they are having problem with says authenticate problem. 

I want to use MCHAP authenticate method on Aruba Controller 7220 is it possible?

Thanks 

Best Regards

• 7.  RE: 802.1x without web authentication

Posted Nov 14, 2014 07:18 AM

Yes, MCHAP is possible. 

There is a Diagnostic tab on the controller web UI. Click on it and at the right side there is AAA server test. You can choose MCHAP and test your PC client if server returns the answer successfully. Don't forget to add your controller's ip address as a Radius Client to the server.

At 802.1x side Aruba controller is some kind of a middle-man between the client and the server. For successful authentication you should confirm both your server and controller side. As their settings are correctly matched for successful authentication. 

• 8.  RE: 802.1x without web authentication

Posted Nov 14, 2014 08:38 AM

Sorry my mistake, I was trying to say I want to do PAP authentication for Laptops. Yes, there is MCHAP authentication, but with MCAHP authentication I can only login with my telephone.

I couldn't find any PAP authentication in controller. 

Or what authenticate do I need to do for laptops, I try all of them but couldnt get avoid from this stuation.

Thanks

• 9.  RE: 802.1x without web authentication

Posted Dec 21, 2014 06:55 AM

i don't believe the native windows wireless client supports PAP. have a look at this list for one that might be able to help you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wireless_LAN_clients

forcing users to use one or another program might be dificult if you don't have control over their systemens.

anyhow: why not use MSCHAPv2? PAP is not really secure.