Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

AD-join failing to resolve NETBIOS name

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  AD-join failing to resolve NETBIOS name

MVP
    Posted Dec 06, 2017 02:56 AM

I'm trying to get a clearpass registered in AD but running into some issues. When trying to resolve the NETBIOS name is fails with error: ads_connect: No logon servers

Clearpass is behind a firewall. I requested that the required ports be opened (according to http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AAA-NAC-Guest-Access-BYOD/What-are-the-ports-that-need-to-be-opened-on-the-network/ta-p/175872) but still no luck.

When I do a packet capture during the join attempt I can see Clearpass doing DNS (and getting answers).

I can also see CLDAP (udp 389) searchRequest for "<ROOT>" baseobject to the domain server but it appears nothing is being returned even though routing seems ok.

Finaly I also see some netbios queries (only queries, no answers) coming from both data and mgmt interfaces where I only use mgmt for everything but guest traffic.

So, what is going wrong here? What exactly is being used to resolve that NETBIOS name?

• 2.  RE: AD-join failing to resolve NETBIOS name

Posted Dec 06, 2017 03:54 AM

It might be worth adding a route to the domain controller (or domain controller subnet) over a particular interface.

• 3.  RE: AD-join failing to resolve NETBIOS name

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 06, 2017 04:01 AM

Hi ,

Generally we see such error message if AD is not reachable, could you try do a testjoin from CLI

Tests if Policy Manager is a member of the AD domain.
    Syntax
    ad testjoin

Try join the AD from CLI

Joins host to the domain.
    Syntax
    ad netjoin <domain-controller.domain-name>

• 4.  RE: AD-join failing to resolve NETBIOS name

• 5.  RE: AD-join failing to resolve NETBIOS name

MVP
    Posted Dec 06, 2017 05:52 AM

Thanks all, lesson learned, trust your own pcaps over fw guys :P

Needed ldap, opened only sldap