Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ARUBA CONTROLLER WITH CAPTIVE PORTAL AUTHENTICATION VIA NPS (RADIUS)

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  ARUBA CONTROLLER WITH CAPTIVE PORTAL AUTHENTICATION VIA NPS (RADIUS)

Posted Sep 12, 2014 12:05 AM

Hi All,

I have a deployment for a Aruba 3200 with a NPS server (running Windows 2012 and joined to AD) where end-users needs to login via a captive portal using their AD username and password. I don't have ClearPass.

I am trying to configure in such as way so that when the end-users logs in, they need not re-enter the AD and password when they logoff their PC or go to lunch. I have tried tuning the "user idle timeout" but this issue remains.

I want that the users to stay logged in regardless if they go to lunch, turn off or on their PC, logoff or login from Windows. However, if AD password expires then that is understandable.

After reading the below threads:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/How-to-do-mac-auth-for-devices-after-the-captive-portal/td-p/137845

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/Guest-User-Re-Authentication-Issue/td-p/187138

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AAA-NAC-Guest-Access-BYOD/Captive-Portal-Reauthentication-Timer/m-p/132073/highlight/true#M9104

It sounds like I need MAC caching or some sort but this is available under ClearPass.

Is there any workaround I can use to go around this?

• 2.  RE: ARUBA CONTROLLER WITH CAPTIVE PORTAL AUTHENTICATION VIA NPS (RADIUS)
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 12, 2014 12:19 AM
    Clearpass is the only way to really solve your issue unless you move the clients to a certificate.

• 3.  RE: ARUBA CONTROLLER WITH CAPTIVE PORTAL AUTHENTICATION VIA NPS (RADIUS)

Posted Sep 12, 2014 01:48 AM
    Hi Tarnold,

Serious?

How about increasing the Station Ageout Time and User Idle Timeout values to the maximum?

• 4.  RE: ARUBA CONTROLLER WITH CAPTIVE PORTAL AUTHENTICATION VIA NPS (RADIUS)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 12, 2014 01:59 AM

Yes you can increase the session timeout but that is a more of a patch than fix. I have seen that cause more issues than fix the mac cacheing. Some of the wireless guys can talk more on it.

The max you can set it is at 15,300 seconds

Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 12.55.26 AM.png

• 5.  RE: ARUBA CONTROLLER WITH CAPTIVE PORTAL AUTHENTICATION VIA NPS (RADIUS)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 12, 2014 09:23 AM
    I would not change the station ageout timers. You can play with the user idle timeout but it is not a stable solution for what you're trying to do.

As Troy said, you either need to use ClearPass to setup MAC caching or move to something more secure like EAP-TLS or EAP-PEAP.

• 6.  RE: ARUBA CONTROLLER WITH CAPTIVE PORTAL AUTHENTICATION VIA NPS (RADIUS)

Posted Sep 15, 2014 11:20 PM
    Hi guys, Thanks for the feedback. I need to find a workaround for this little problem of mine. Just wondering if I can do this workaround: 1. If I am getting this correctly, if I were to go about creating local users on the controller's local database instead of going through my RADIUS or NPS server. Then on each users created, I was being suggested to set those users account expiry to a later date. I see that there is a 'maximum expiration' and 'expiry' under each user attribute. Correct me if I am wrong, will this influence the frequency of users logging into the captive portal?

• 7.  RE: ARUBA CONTROLLER WITH CAPTIVE PORTAL AUTHENTICATION VIA NPS (RADIUS)

Posted Sep 18, 2014 02:12 AM
    Hi guys, I understand ClearPass is needed. But I am hoping for some kind inputs and suggestions to this. As of now, it is apparent that having the MAC address of the user's PC is required on the controller. Is there any way that when a user logs into the captive portal, is there a way to capture their mac address and manipulate it to my use?

• 8.  RE: ARUBA CONTROLLER WITH CAPTIVE PORTAL AUTHENTICATION VIA NPS (RADIUS)

Posted Sep 18, 2014 03:03 AM

@tvliew wrote:
    Hi guys, Thanks for the feedback. I need to find a workaround for this little problem of mine. Just wondering if I can do this workaround: 1. If I am getting this correctly, if I were to go about creating local users on the controller's local database instead of going through my RADIUS or NPS server. Then on each users created, I was being suggested to set those users account expiry to a later date. I see that there is a 'maximum expiration' and 'expiry' under each user attribute. Correct me if I am wrong, will this influence the frequency of users logging into the captive portal?

that has no influence on the login on the portal, that affects how long the account can be used.

i understand your problem, but there simply is no way to solve this without to do Mac caching somewhere.

• 9.  RE: ARUBA CONTROLLER WITH CAPTIVE PORTAL AUTHENTICATION VIA NPS (RADIUS)

Posted Sep 21, 2014 12:42 PM

Thanks guys for the inputs. I'm closing this case.