Security

AT&T SMS over SMTP not working

I have a bit of a strange issue, I configured SMS over SMTP on the Guest registration page for a customer. The customer configured mail server to allow Clearpass to be a relay. I've tested email and SMS successfully to multiple phone carries and email domains. The only service that does not work is AT&T. We cannot send the guest receipt to any phone with AT&T as a carrier. The carrier settings are default. Clearpass is running 6.3.6.

I cannot figure out why AT&T would not work, while Verizon, T-Mobile, etc. work fine.

Anybody come across this? This may have also been an issue prior to migrating from Amigopod to Clearpass Guest, but I can't seem to remember exactly when it started happening. 

Any ideas what could cause this?

Thanks.

Michael Haring
ACMP, ACCP, BCNE, CCENT, Palo Alto ACE 7.0
Guru Elite

Re: AT

We’ve been seeing extremely long delays with AT&T and are suggesting that our customers move to Twilio. Lately the carriers seem to be treating SMS via email as best effort.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480

Is there a guide that assists with integrating Twilio and Clearpass? Do you have some config examples that I may present to the customer?

Michael Haring

Michael,

Take a look at the here in ASE, this should get you sorted.

https://ase.arubanetworks.com/solutions/id/73

Best Regards
-d

ClearPass Product Manager

-- Found something helpful, important, or cool? Click the Kudos Star in a post.
-- Problem Solved? Click "Accept as Solution" in a post.
Aruba Employee

As far as Twilio setup in ClearPass Guest goes, it is pretty strait forward. Under SMS Gateways, add a Twilio Gateway. Just enter your API username and Password for Twilio, then enter your SMS Source Address from Twilio in the following format: +1##########  (+country_code_area_code_number) For example, if your Source Address number was 408-867-5309, the SMS Source Address would look like +14088675309.

I also set the Country Code to 1 and Default Length to 10, since I am in the USA. This just makes it so that you can send an SMS with the format of 4088675309.

Thanks,

Zach Jennings

Thanks for the info. We are having the customer do packet captures to verify the issue lies with AT&T and not the ClearPass server. If anything pops out that might be helpful to others I will let everyone know. If all checks out we may be looking into something like Twilio.

Thanks.

Michael Haring
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: