Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Access denied on ClearPass Captive Portal

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  Access denied on ClearPass Captive Portal

Posted Oct 01, 2013 11:11 AM

I followed the instructions in the "Aruba Wireless and Clearpass 6 intergration guide v1.3" and most of it is working, but the the guest self-registration.  The guest can hit the captive portal, create the account but the login part isn't working.

I enter the login, and it would briefly display "Connecting to the network" or something along those lines and bring me back to the captive portal login screen with Access Denied. 

I changed the IP Address on the "NAS Vendor Settings" to the controller (the IP address on the guest network for the controller) and when I hit login it takes me to a page on the controller (I have to approve the security certififiate) and then back to the ClearPass portal login screen with Access denied.

The Access tracker doesn't show any reasons why this isn't passing (the captive portal logins don't show up there).  Any idea of where I can look for a better error description, or ideas of a next step in troubleshooting?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Access denied on ClearPass Captive Portal

Posted Oct 01, 2013 02:02 PM

Make sure that this field matches your guest SSID : Configuration » Services » Edit - <Service Name>

ClearPass Policy Manager - Aruba Networks_2013-10-01_13-43-35.png

Also make sure under the Guest setup  you have the IP address of your controller in the allowed dynamic list :

Home » Configuration » Guest Self-Registration

On the Access tracker what do you see in the Alerts tab :

ClearPass Policy Manager - Aruba Networks_2013-10-01_14-01-24.png

• 3.  RE: Access denied on ClearPass Captive Portal

Posted Oct 01, 2013 04:02 PM

Victor thanks for the ideas.

1. I had this in the system correctly.  Mine did use the "EQUALS" instead of "BELONGS_TO" I'm thinking those work about the same, but I changed mine to match your config but didn't fix anything.

2. I'm not sure where this dynamic list is, can you give me more details?  I went to Home >> Configuration >> Guest Self-Regisration - Selected the page but I'm not sure where to go from there on this.

3. There isn't a logged event for this - I'm guessing because the access denied is happening on the Captive Portal login, not on the wireless authentication?

Any other ideas would be great!

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Access denied on ClearPass Captive Portal
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2013 06:15 PM

Look in the event viewer and see if there are any errors in there.

It might be a simple password mismatch on the controller

Also in your controller make sure you have the server setup as the auth source.

controller2.png

• 5.  RE: Access denied on ClearPass Captive Portal

Posted Oct 01, 2013 06:21 PM

Hi,

I follow also the same guide and can connect to the guest ssid, but can't see captive portal ...

tomorrow going to check all settings... it seems reading this post  that my guest setting "radius:aruba does not match my guest ssid...

regards

• 6.  RE: Access denied on ClearPass Captive Portal

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2013 06:24 PM
    You will see a failed request with no service attached if that was the case. It sounds like you are just are missing a setting in your controller.

• 7.  RE: Access denied on ClearPass Captive Portal

Posted Oct 02, 2013 12:53 PM

Thanks Troy - the screenshot saved the day!

I had Guest login checked instead of user login.  After I changed that everything started working!

Thanks!
    ClearPassSetup.PNG