Security

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Airplay for windows PC

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Airplay for windows PC

Posted Jan 06, 2015 10:41 AM

Hello,

We're looking at using APPLE TV to stream from windows PCs on our network through a projector.

At the moment we've got the infrastructure configured using Clear Pass with our APPLE TV added into it (AirPlay). All working fine when using an iPad, and an iPhone. However, we're having an issue with getting a windows PC to access the projector.

The only way around this is to install a 3rd party software such as AirParrot giving us the option to mirror through to APPLE TV.

My question is whether there are any Aruba/AirPlay approved projectors that can be used to be added to Clear Pass in order to stream into the projector directly as you would by using AirPlay for mirror, or AirPrint?

Many thanks,

H

• 2.  RE: Airplay for windows PC
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2015 10:43 AM
    For "AirPlay" to work on non-Apple devices, you will always need a client
    that mimics the AirPlay setup.

You may want to look into using Chromecasts as they support all platforms.

• 3.  RE: Airplay for windows PC

Posted Jan 06, 2015 11:29 AM

Thank you for the quick reply.

I have never used Chromecast before. Would there be an issue with security, and access to the internet?
    Planning to use this on a corporate environment.

I was thinking if there is a similar solution to access the projector directly as you would with an Apple TV, and AirPrint.

By the sounds of it, it looks like AirParrot or a similar 3rd party software is the most suitable solution.

• 4.  RE: Airplay for windows PC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2015 11:32 AM
    It would depend on your security requirements. The Chromecast would have the
    same security implications an Apple TV or other consumer streaming device.

Epson projectors have a mirroring client but it is not very reliable (but
    then again, neither is the Apple TV).

• 5.  RE: Airplay for windows PC

Posted Jan 06, 2015 11:42 AM

I've used the Epson (EasyMP Network Projection) software and it wasn't bad actually. Only issue is that it uses the WIFI adapter to access the projector which means that users don't have access to the internet since the WIFI is already being used.

A way around this would be to use wired which is not straight forward.

The goal is to make this as easy and zero user interaction as possible.

Many thanks for your input and suggestions.

• 6.  RE: Airplay for windows PC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2015 11:44 AM
    I would try using a Chromecast just to test. They're super cheap ($30).