Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Android Quickconnect won't install networkconfig

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  Android Quickconnect won't install networkconfig

Posted Oct 20, 2016 10:14 AM

I am setting up an Onboard process for a dot1x network.  Users connect to an open network with captive portal for provisioning.

My Android test device is unable to install the config.  It's able to connect, download and install QuickConnect from the Google Play store, but when I click to open "quick1x.networkconfig" it gives the error "All apps associated with this action have been disabled, blocked or are not installed".

Anyone have any tips?  I've uninstalled & reinstalled QuickConnect, rebooted my phone and checked settings on the app.

• 2.  RE: Android Quickconnect won't install networkconfig

Posted Oct 21, 2016 10:48 AM

What version of Android does this relate to?

I've seen issues on both 6.0.1 and 7.

The .networkconfig file doesn't appear to be associated to QuickConnect.

Anybody found a fix for this??

• 3.  RE: Android Quickconnect won't install networkconfig

Posted Oct 21, 2016 11:19 AM

Yes, mine is 6.0.1.  Also tried an ancient 4.0.3 device and had a different problem.

This is going to be a showstopper if a solution can't be found - a fairly large college campus wanting to onboard students.

• 4.  RE: Android Quickconnect won't install networkconfig

Posted Nov 14, 2016 02:40 PM

I have done a lot more research and testing, and this is what I have found.  

First, lots of people are having the same issue, as you can see in the Google Play store app reviews:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arubanetworks.quickconnect.android&hl=en

Buggy and untested. Doesn't register the mime type correctly. Due to this I had to download a different browser and then open the .networkconfig file on this app, that's when it worked. Just test your apps on multiple Android devices before marking your tickets as not an issue.”

Does not work since the newest software update Ever since my most recent software update, the app stopped working for me. I got kicked out of my WiFi at work and I am always getting the message "unable to configure device." My work hasn't changed anything on our end and seeing the other reviews makes me believe it's the app. I've even tried changing the password on my phone and it still doesn't work.  PLEASE FIX THIS!”

Device will not configure When I got into work this morning I was unable to connect to our network. I tried to reprovision my device and all the quick connect did is reroute me to the Aruba clear pass website for our company. I've downloaded the configuration file countless times and the app still will not provision my device.”

So I would recommend that Aruba's development team actually look at user reviews to see what people’s real-world experience is.  This is frustrating and embarrassing when putting it in front of a customer who is expecting results.

However, this got me testing some things.  The first thing I tried was to uninstall Google Chrome on my Android device.  This is not possible, but I was able to uninstall the latest updates, and set the default browser to the builtin “Internet Browser”.

I used the default browser and was able to properly register, install QuickConnect, and then install the network configuration.

Next, I repeated the process using Firefox as the browser.  Firefox failed at the registration phase, saying that the browser is unsupported, and to use Google Chrome (!)

Next, I tested the process with the out-of-date Google Chrome, and was again able to provision completely. 

Next, I updated Google Chrome to the latest version, and as I suspected it was no longer able to launch quickconnect, with the same error:  “All apps associated with this action have been disabled, blocked or not allowed".

So it appears that the problem is with QuickConnect not registering the mime type properly with the latest version of Chrome on Android.

Since it is unlikely that we will be able to force thousands of users to downgrade their browser, I think the ball is in Aruba’s court, to fix and test QuickConnect on the latest Android Chrome Browser.

• 5.  RE: Android Quickconnect won't install networkconfig

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2016 05:10 PM

The ClearPass engineering team is working on addressing these changes in the latest Chrome releases with high priority. I'll post further updates here.

• 6.  RE: Android Quickconnect won't install networkconfig
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2016 12:25 AM

The updated QuickConnect app (version 1.0.88680) is now available on the Google Play store. Thank you for your patience.

• 7.  RE: Android Quickconnect won't install networkconfig

Posted Nov 17, 2016 04:17 PM

Thanks for the update!  I've tested the new version and it works now.

• 8.  RE: Android Quickconnect won't install networkconfig

Posted Dec 06, 2016 12:34 PM

I'm posting here because I'm working closely with martinpoulin on this...I'm testing with Android 6.0.1, Chrome (54.0.2840.59) along with the lastest QuickConnect app. We have a dual-ssid setup; staff users first connect to the guest ssid then follow the steps to provision their device in order to get on the secure ssid. The issue is: we cannot connect to the google play store to download the quickconnect app. After entering our AD creds, we are prompted to download the quickconnect app. When we do that, we get:  web page not found

(market://details?id=com.arubanetworks.quickconnect.android)

This is not a firewall issue - all proper ACL's are in place and verified by Aruba TAC.

Here is a workaround however:

1. Disable cell data
    2. Connect to the Guest-ssid
    3. Do not click or tap "Sign in to Wifi Network"
    4. Open Chrome and go to any website - You should be re-directed to the clearpass registration page
    5. Follow the prompts to install QuickConnect and download the network profile and open with the default quickconnect app.

Wondering if someone has seen this before or has a solution?

Thanks.

• 9.  RE: Android Quickconnect won't install networkconfig

Posted Dec 07, 2016 03:18 PM

So it seems like an issue with Android's network portal detection service...(shill service state machine). If I chose not to sign in using that "tap here to sign in" method and I launch Chrome, I can succesfully download the quickconnect app and provision my device successfully.