Security

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Android and Mac trouble connecting to the guest wireless

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Android and Mac trouble connecting to the guest wireless

Posted Jan 05, 2012 10:46 AM

Today all of a sudden many Android devices (Nook Color, Amazon Kindle Fire, LG Optimus V, ...) and a Mac Mini. I can get the devices to connect to our enterprise network without issue. But when I switch over to the Guest stays at attemping/obtaining IP. This so far has been in one area. I have rebooted to 3 APs in the area, disabled then re-enabled the wireless cards on all the devices. Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Android and Mac trouble connecting to the guest wireless

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 05, 2012 10:47 AM

Please turn on debugging for those devices to see what is going on.

If this is ArubaOS 6.1 you can try unchecking "Enforce DHCP" in the AAA profile for the guest network if it is indeed enabled.

• 3.  RE: Android and Mac trouble connecting to the guest wireless

Posted Jan 05, 2012 10:53 AM

We are running 5.0.3.3. The funny thing is that I can connected a Windows PC fine in the same area.

• 4.  RE: Android and Mac trouble connecting to the guest wireless

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 05, 2012 10:56 AM

The biggest issue with i-devices and androids is that we see them attempt to try to keep the same ip address that they had on the old network.   This is why the debug for those clients will be very important in figuring out what is going on.  Make sure in your guest network your DHCP acl is "any any service svc-dhcp" instead of "user any service svc-dhcp", as well.

• 5.  RE: Android and Mac trouble connecting to the guest wireless

Posted Jan 05, 2012 01:46 PM

I called Tecnical Support. They cannot figure it out. While on the phone with support, Windows PCs could not login to guest. Support ran debug and could not find anything. They left debug on to monitor one AP, and 3 devices. All the devices can connect fine to normal SSID off the same AP but not the guest, which confused support. Any other ideas?

• 6.  RE: Android and Mac trouble connecting to the guest wireless

Posted Jan 05, 2012 01:57 PM
    The speed went from 54 down to 1 then up again to 24 down to 2 on the guest. On the normal ssid it stays about level at 54/48.

• 7.  RE: Android and Mac trouble connecting to the guest wireless

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 05, 2012 02:16 PM
    If you are working with support please continue to work with them and let us know about your progress. Support has much more information then we have here and would be able to make a better determination.

• 8.  RE: Android and Mac trouble connecting to the guest wireless

Posted Jan 11, 2012 10:42 AM

The devices that cannot connect get the 169.254.x.x which is default for most devices when it fails to get an IP from DHCP. Is there any thing I can do on the controller to stop this?

• 9.  RE: Android and Mac trouble connecting to the guest wireless

Posted Jan 11, 2012 12:32 PM

Tech support finally figured it out.

• 10.  RE: Android and Mac trouble connecting to the guest wireless

Posted Jan 17, 2012 08:11 AM

What did tech support determine as the issue here?  It would be interesting to know for future reference.

• 11.  RE: Android and Mac trouble connecting to the guest wireless

Posted Jan 19, 2012 03:08 PM

When we upgraded from 3.3.x series of code to 5.0.x series of code, that the DHCP IP binding did not release. I had to delete the IP range for the guest SSID then recreate it.  You can use the following to see the DHCP lease status:

show ip dhcp status

It just happened to be Android and a few MACs trying to get on to the network at that time.

• 12.  RE: Android and Mac trouble connecting to the guest wireless

Posted Jan 25, 2012 10:46 PM

I would also like to know more about this issue.

I'm seeing problems in spots.  Particular APs not responding to requests for iPads and Macs.