Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Android connectivity issues

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Android connectivity issues

Posted Nov 01, 2013 10:04 AM

Hi,

We're currently running ArubaOS 6.1.3.7 here and are starting to see more and more issues with android users. While I know we are  configuring the devices OK,  more and more users are contacting our helpdesk saying that they can connect to our eduroam SSID and start doing "stuff" , but approx 10 secs or more later their connection "hangs". If they reconnect then they get another 10 secs worth.

Interestingly enough, it *appears* that one of our users can connect to a legacy wifi hotspot that is either a Cisco or collubris AP (not sure) and everything works fine. When he goes over to our Aruba wireless he has problems. 

Can't seem to track it down to a specific brand of Android or version release.

I'm fairly certain that we shouldn't have to do anything specific for Android but is anyone else having similar  issues? 

Rgds

Alex

• 2.  RE: Android connectivity issues

Posted Nov 01, 2013 10:25 AM

What type of authentication are you using on the SSID that the androids are failing?

• 3.  RE: Android connectivity issues

Posted Nov 01, 2013 10:40 AM

WPA2-Enterprise

And the devices aren't failing authenticaton. The devices auth correctly, get dropped into a valid vlan and get a valid IP address.

• 4.  RE: Android connectivity issues

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 01, 2013 10:26 AM

Are you using ClearPass? Anything in access tracker?

Android devices tend to be picky with the PEAP certificate.

• 5.  RE: Android connectivity issues

Posted Nov 01, 2013 10:45 AM

Nope not using clearpass (yet)  Auth is taken care of by a load balanced FreeRadius service that handles both our wired and wireless 802.1x authentications.

We use a prog called XpressConnect to  configure (almost) all of our wireless devices for peap access. XpressConnect also uploads our root cert and does some preparatory work for migrating to another CA by uploading a new root cert and 2 intermediate certs.

My Kindle fire HD and cheap samsung phone work just fine. My colleague has an android 2.2 something which again works fine. Other people have problems.

A

• 6.  RE: Android connectivity issues

Posted Nov 01, 2013 11:36 AM

We have seen issues as you described you S4 using 4.x , the device is able to associate/authenticate (802.1x) gets an IP address and after a certain amount of time (non consistant) the device just drop off the network.

I troubleshooted this for a couple of weeks but couldn't find anything substancial in the controller logs.

I think it might be related to the Android version , older android devices don't seem to experience this issue.