Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Android doesn't redirect to Guest Captive portal

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Android doesn't redirect to Guest Captive portal

Posted Aug 13, 2014 11:52 AM

Hi:

Can someone remind me where the redirect to a Guest captive portal is setup in CPPM / CPPM Guest?

I'm having a problem where Android users are not able to access the captive portal of the CPPM guest network. (Windows and iOS work fine).

From what I've read on other forums, the problem seems to be that Androids are hard coded to use Google's dns servers, and don't use the one handed out by dhcp.

I need to fix this fast, and the only work around would appear to be setting the redirect to a hard-coded IP address, like https://192.168.100.100/guest/guest_register_login.php

Can someone remind me where this redirect setting is?

Thanks,

Tony

• 2.  RE: Android doesn't redirect to Guest Captive portal

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 13, 2014 12:03 PM

The redirect is on the controller under Configuration --> Authentication --> L3 Authentication --> Captive Portal Profile

• 3.  RE: Android doesn't redirect to Guest Captive portal

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 13, 2014 12:05 PM
    Are you allowing access to Google sites in your ACLs? This can prevent the captive portal.

Also, make sure you are allowing OCSP through.

• 4.  RE: Android doesn't redirect to Guest Captive portal

Posted Aug 13, 2014 12:30 PM

Hi Tim:

Can you be more specific on which sites I would need to allow access to?

Also, how to allow OCSP?

When I bring up Chrome on an Android, it reports the problem is a dns lookup.

That seems to make sense, because if I go to a Terminal App on the Android, I see the following:

(I've got ICMP open on this role)

Ping to internal dns servers by IP address: successful

Ping to external URL (eg. msn.com): name resolves successfully

Ping to an internal address by URL (listed in my internal dsn servers): does not resolve successfully

I've seen on another forum where someone was complaining that Android hard-codes Googles's dns servers, regardless of what address they get from dhcp. The testing above would seem to confirm that.

Thanks,

Tony

• 5.  RE: Android doesn't redirect to Guest Captive portal

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 13, 2014 12:35 PM

Is this all Androids that you have or jsut this one?  Is the DNS server hard coded in the network settings?  I just tried one and it worked fine for me - Samsung Galaxy Pro

• 6.  RE: Android doesn't redirect to Guest Captive portal

Posted Aug 13, 2014 01:02 PM

I've gotten the same result on a few different Androids.

Finding the dns server on an Android isn't particulary easy. The command line ifconfig doesn't do it.

I had to download an app called ifconfig that said I was using the internal dns servers, as I should be. But all indications are that I'm connecting to something external.

I've seen posts that say it's hard coded in a file.

Is there an nslookup equivalent for the Android that would tell me this?

Thanks.

• 7.  RE: Android doesn't redirect to Guest Captive portal

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 13, 2014 08:43 PM

I use an app called "ping & DNS" which is perfect for this sort of troubleshooting.