Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Apple TV Airplay use over corporate netwroks

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Apple TV Airplay use over corporate netwroks

Posted Apr 12, 2012 11:40 AM

Hello,

Our director would like to use Applte TV to project files from his iPad into the projector during his and the CEO's presentation. We are a big company with 5000 users.

I've tested this at home and it works first time without any hassle. However, at work, I've tried this in the lab on our corporate network and the devices can see each other and everything, however when I click on the airplay and mirror option, nothing is happening.

I'm aware of the AirGroup which is a new product that Aruba has released that will simplify this process and the management are looking into purchasing this sometime in the future. However, I would like to see if I can get this up and running without the AirGroup solution.

Has anyone tried this without and worked for them?

I read loads of documentation on this and read about the risks of enabling muliticasts and broadcasts, but because this is in the lab environment I don't see any harm in testing it.

Many thanks,

H

• 2.  RE: Apple TV Airplay use over corporate netwroks

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 12, 2012 01:02 PM

Is the Apple TV and Ipad on the same subnet?

• 3.  RE: Apple TV Airplay use over corporate netwroks

Posted Apr 13, 2012 04:23 AM

Hello,

yes they are in the same subnet.

I just came across this thread and this is exactly what I'm experiencing:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/ArubaOS-and-Mobility-Controllers/AirPlay-mirroring/m-p/28980/highlight/false#M2417

I'm trying to see where I can enable IPv6. I will do this in the lab because i don't want it to affect the corporate WLAN should it have any implications on other WLAN SSIDs.

many thanks,

• 4.  RE: Apple TV Airplay use over corporate netwroks

Posted Apr 12, 2012 01:50 PM

Do you have Deny User Traffic/Bridging checked?   Even with that option checked, you'll still see the devices thanks to the magic of Bonjour, but will be unable to connect.

A "cheap" fix is to have the AppleTV wired into the same VLAN.

• 5.  RE: Apple TV Airplay use over corporate netwroks

Posted Apr 30, 2012 01:55 PM

We have a few Apple TV's here and what we have found is as long as they are on the same SSID that uses the same vlan pool (multiple sites using the same ssid but seperate vlans pools per building) they work just great even if the ip ranges cross so in my case using 2 class C's the Apple TV is 10.50.45.50 and the ipad is 10.50.44.230 as long as the 10.50.45.x and 10.50.44.x are part of the same vlan pool it works fine. 

• 6.  RE: Apple TV Airplay use over corporate netwroks

Posted May 10, 2012 04:37 AM

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. I've put the devices in an SSID with only the one vlan/subnet, and I still cannot get it to work.

:(

• 7.  RE: Apple TV Airplay use over corporate netwroks

Posted Sep 17, 2020 01:54 AM

You can use Airgroup to limit the broadcast of the Apple TV on Network.  It will be able to broadcast to a few AP near-by but not the entire network.   before you do this,  You will need to get the Mac Address of the Apple TV and the AP that is connected to.  The fastest way to get this mac address if the Apple TV is via running this CLI command in the Wifi Controller. "show user devtype AppleTV".  Once you have the details of the MAC Address.  Verified that it is connected to the correct AP and run the following command "airgroup policy ap-name device-mac <Apple TV's Mac Address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx> add <AP NAME>".  Here is how a typical command will look like. 

airgroup policy ap-name device-mac 01:02:03:04:05:06 add AP_NAME.  

Hope that helps.