Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba ClearPass Policy Manager count device

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Aruba ClearPass Policy Manager count device

Posted Nov 04, 2012 10:21 AM

My company has installed Aruba ClearPass Policy Manager (CP-SW-VA for 10,000 devices) since Sept this year and the system informed that we have exceeded the 10K limit. We have a max user of 3000 daily but we do not understand how and why we exceed the limit.

How will ClearPass Policy Manager device count mechanism work under the scenariso below:

1) One device connects to the Wi-Fi network 5 times in a day, how many license does it consume?

2) Same 1 device connects to the Wi-Fi network under different user name, how many license does it consume?

3) In our setup, each user is allowed to connect to the W-iFi network with no more than 3 devices, how will this affect the licenses?

4) Can ClearPass Policy Manager whereby we can generate report that display:

(a) how many devices connects to Wi-Fi network sorted by user?

(b) how many devices connects to Wi-Fi network separated by SSID?

(c) how many decices connects to Wi-Fi network on a daily/weekly/monthly?

(d) top connected devices by authenticated user to Wi-Fi network grouped by SSID?

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: Aruba ClearPass Policy Manager count device

Posted Nov 05, 2012 11:04 AM

For CPPM, the license count is for unique authenticating devices.

1) One device connects to the Wi-Fi network 5 times in a day, how many license does it consume?

2) Same 1 device connects to the Wi-Fi network under different user name, how many license does it consume?

3) In our setup, each user is allowed to connect to the W-iFi network with no more than 3 devices, how will this affect the licenses?

1 per device; so up to 3 in this case

4) Can ClearPass Policy Manager whereby we can generate report that display:

(a) how many devices connects to Wi-Fi network sorted by user?

(b) how many devices connects to Wi-Fi network separated by SSID?

(c) how many decices connects to Wi-Fi network on a daily/weekly/monthly?

(d) top connected devices by authenticated user to Wi-Fi network grouped by SSID?

These reports are probably best provided by AirWave

• 3.  RE: Aruba ClearPass Policy Manager count device

Posted Nov 08, 2012 11:07 AM

Along these lines, is the Configuration->identity->endpoints where the count of devices is used for licensing? If so, you can clear out these endpoints daily if you so choose. Is there a disadvantage in clearing the endponts daily if you're hitting the licensing limits?

• 4.  RE: Aruba ClearPass Policy Manager count device

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 08, 2012 12:47 PM

Miker,

It is baed on "Unique authenticating endpoints per day", and not the contents of the endpoints database.

• 5.  RE: Aruba ClearPass Policy Manager count device

Posted Nov 08, 2012 01:49 PM

Is there a way to see what clearpass thinks is my daily count? I'd like to see before I cross my limit so I can plan accordingly.

• 6.  RE: Aruba ClearPass Policy Manager count device

Posted Nov 22, 2012 08:20 AM

same here,

i got 3000 endpoints; but i dont know (besides to generate a report) how many people connected today.

• 7.  RE: Aruba ClearPass Policy Manager count device

Posted Nov 26, 2012 04:36 PM

ClearPass 6.0.1 shows the consumed license count for each license in the Licensing screen.

• 8.  RE: Aruba ClearPass Policy Manager count device

Posted Nov 27, 2012 03:51 AM

time for upgrade :-)