Security

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba ClearPass as a Cisco ACS replacement - Feature comparison

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Aruba ClearPass as a Cisco ACS replacement - Feature comparison

Posted Aug 10, 2012 10:32 PM

Hey Everyone,

We are considering replacing our Cisco ACS TACACS environment that is used to authenticate our network admins into our Cisco devices.  Does anyone have a side by side feature comparison of Cisco ACS 5.3 and ClearPass?

Thanks,

J

• 2.  RE: Aruba ClearPass as a Cisco ACS replacement - Feature comparison

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 11, 2012 11:57 AM

Take a look:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/product/clearpass-policy-manager

Full Multivendor support is the first key.

• 3.  RE: Aruba ClearPass as a Cisco ACS replacement - Feature comparison

Posted Aug 11, 2012 12:02 PM

Thanks, but I was hoping someone has compiled a side by side comparison...

• 4.  RE: Aruba ClearPass as a Cisco ACS replacement - Feature comparison

Posted Aug 13, 2012 03:18 PM

Jon, one thing to remember is that ClearPass is an entire platform for identity management and BYOD, so there are many things that ACS simply does not do or will not do like be a Certificate Authority, support device profiling, endpoint health verification, automate device 802.1x configuration, etc, etc.

We use the same policy engine in ClearPass Policy Manager (CPPM) for AAA and TACACS+, so all of the benefits and flexibility of the rules engine extend beyond AAA.

Cisco has already shown that its identity/AAA/NAC future lies in the ISE product line, ACS is only around still because of the legacy install base and the lack of TACACS+ on ISE (even though its their protocol).

I would encourage you to request an evaluation of CPPM so you can see just what a powerful platform it is.  And I think there in is the main point of comparision between ACS and CPPM:  One is a legacy product propping up limitations in other product lines and one is a platform for providing mobility centric access control, BYOD, and guest access.  If you think that your identity and access control needs are going to go beyond TACACS+ moving forward, then I think considering alternatives to ACS is a must.

Feel free to reach out if you want to get in touch with a local account team to help you wiht an evaluation

Regards
    Carlos 

• 5.  RE: Aruba ClearPass as a Cisco ACS replacement - Feature comparison

Posted Aug 13, 2012 11:36 PM

Thanks, at this time, I am just looking for a base CPPM vs ACS feature comparison and not all the CPPM module addons.