Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Bandwidth Quotas on CPPM

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Bandwidth Quotas on CPPM

Posted Aug 21, 2014 08:07 AM

Hi All

I have a customer who wants to kick his users off the guest network when they have reached a download cap. I have applied a post auth session enforcement profile that does this fine and disconnects the user. However, this only works when they re-authenticate. So yesterday, whilst on site, I could happily download way more than the 50Mb limit we set, but if I disconnected and reconnected, I would get kicked off.

How do I make this continually monitor a session and kick them off when they hit 50Mb? I have RADIUS accounting set up properly and the data is being recorded in the Accounting page.

If I was doing this with RADIUS, then I could reauth regularly and check the bandwidth downloaded that way, without the user seeing a drop but with captive portal, this would mean they would need to re-auth through the portal every time we check the bandwidth figure.

Any ideas how to get round this?

Cheers

• 2.  RE: Bandwidth Quotas on CPPM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2014 10:05 AM

Are you also doing mac-caching?  Perhaps tie into that as well?  Is radius interim accounting also enabled?

• 3.  RE: Bandwidth Quotas on CPPM

Posted Aug 21, 2014 12:22 PM

I have Radius interim accounting set up. We aren't doing mac caching at the moment.

• 4.  RE: Bandwidth Quotas on CPPM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2014 02:29 PM

Make sure your COA is working. You can check in the logs on the guest side and CPPM to see if is being triggered but there might be some errors.

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 1.28.15 PM.png

• 5.  RE: Bandwidth Quotas on CPPM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2014 02:39 PM

Also make sure in your service that you have the bandwidth limit is in the enforcement.

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 1.36.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 1.34.34 PM.png

• 6.  RE: Bandwidth Quotas on CPPM

Posted Aug 21, 2014 04:36 PM

Last time I tried this with 6.3 (didnt work very well...) I had to use a black list repository and it was based on the username (no good for anonymous service).

I'll try dig out the case nots to see if I an put togther a walk though.

• 7.  RE: Bandwidth Quotas on CPPM

Posted Aug 22, 2014 05:36 AM

I have the badnwidth policy in the enforcement porofile and CoA is working. Maybe I'm missing something but I can't see at what point and how the service would check the bandwidth used except at authentication?

• 8.  RE: Bandwidth Quotas on CPPM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2014 11:37 PM

you must have interm account turned on also on the NAS device. By default most vendors it is at 10 min intervals. 

Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 10.36.04 PM.png

• 9.  RE: Bandwidth Quotas on CPPM

Posted Aug 26, 2014 10:31 AM

Interim accounting is enabled too!