Security

MVP

CPPM 6.4 SMTP Relay Problem

Hello All,

Has anybody had success with SMTP in 6.4.0.66263?

I've tested the SMTP relay I'm using with a couple of other utilities and it works, so I'm pretty sure that's not where the problem lies. In this case/setup, it's not authenticated (no username/password, just port 25 etc.) on the CPPM and test utilities. Nice and simple, all internal traffic.

Having configured the newly build CPPM, and then run a test in "messaging setup", it claims the email was sent. It never arrives. If you look in the event viewer (CPPM), theres an error "email failed", with description claiming "exception reading response". A packet capture of the same, shows the syn-ack returned from the SMTP, followed by a single ACK from CPPM and nothing more.

Any suggestions would be great.

Kudos appreciated, but I'm not hunting! (ACMX 104)
Aruba

Re: CPPM 6.4 SMTP Relay Problem

Is your relay blocking by IP? You should also be able to look in the relay server and see what the error is and why its rejecting it.
Thank You,
Troy

--Give Kudos: found something helpful, important, or cool? Click Kudos Star in a post.

--Problem Solved? Click "Accepted Solution" in a post.
MVP

Hi Troy,

We don't believe so. The test laptop I used with "sendmail" on it was allowed to send smtp through the server without any changes. The Microsoft server logs have been checked, and nothing appears. We know the packets reach it. The theory is the server can't log anything, because nothing "complete" is ever received by it.

I've attached a filtered capture (taken in CPPM), showing the whole session when you send a test message from CPPM. CPPM is 10.185.36.47. There's only 3 packets. To me, it looks like CPPM gets the SYN-ACK, ACK's to it, then stops? Happy to be proved wrong?

Any tips on the error message in CPPM itself would be great?

MVP

Can't attach the capture for some reason. Here's a pic instead!

Aruba

Is there any error logs in the cp guest application log. I've dug through our cases and didn't find anything. Was there any restores done?

I would also open a TAC case so engineering can take a look.
Thank You,
Troy

--Give Kudos: found something helpful, important, or cool? Click Kudos Star in a post.

MVP

There is yes. I've attached a pic. Not sure what reason code "-1" might mean?

We thought it might be authentication, and did try it to the server running none, SSL and START-TLS, none of which showed anything different. And the test laptop I SMTP'd to the server on didn't need any security settings???

Aruba

Did you try port 587 instead of 465. Also If you can post back what TAC finds out.
Thank You,
Troy

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: