Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

CPPM 6.4 SMTP Relay Problem

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  CPPM 6.4 SMTP Relay Problem

Posted Sep 08, 2014 11:40 AM

Hello All,

Has anybody had success with SMTP in 6.4.0.66263?

I've tested the SMTP relay I'm using with a couple of other utilities and it works, so I'm pretty sure that's not where the problem lies. In this case/setup, it's not authenticated (no username/password, just port 25 etc.) on the CPPM and test utilities. Nice and simple, all internal traffic.

Having configured the newly build CPPM, and then run a test in "messaging setup", it claims the email was sent. It never arrives. If you look in the event viewer (CPPM), theres an error "email failed", with description claiming "exception reading response". A packet capture of the same, shows the syn-ack returned from the SMTP, followed by a single ACK from CPPM and nothing more.

Any suggestions would be great.

• 2.  RE: CPPM 6.4 SMTP Relay Problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 08, 2014 04:08 PM
    Is your relay blocking by IP? You should also be able to look in the relay server and see what the error is and why its rejecting it.

• 3.  RE: CPPM 6.4 SMTP Relay Problem

Posted Sep 09, 2014 03:24 AM

Hi Troy,

We don't believe so. The test laptop I used with "sendmail" on it was allowed to send smtp through the server without any changes. The Microsoft server logs have been checked, and nothing appears. We know the packets reach it. The theory is the server can't log anything, because nothing "complete" is ever received by it.

I've attached a filtered capture (taken in CPPM), showing the whole session when you send a test message from CPPM. CPPM is 10.185.36.47. There's only 3 packets. To me, it looks like CPPM gets the SYN-ACK, ACK's to it, then stops? Happy to be proved wrong?

Any tips on the error message in CPPM itself would be great?

• 4.  RE: CPPM 6.4 SMTP Relay Problem

Posted Sep 09, 2014 03:27 AM
      |   view attached

Can't attach the capture for some reason. Here's a pic instead!

• 5.  RE: CPPM 6.4 SMTP Relay Problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 09, 2014 04:40 AM
    Is there any error logs in the cp guest application log. I've dug through our cases and didn't find anything. Was there any restores done?

I would also open a TAC case so engineering can take a look.

• 6.  RE: CPPM 6.4 SMTP Relay Problem

Posted Sep 09, 2014 01:18 PM
      |   view attached

There is yes. I've attached a pic. Not sure what reason code "-1" might mean?

We thought it might be authentication, and did try it to the server running none, SSL and START-TLS, none of which showed anything different. And the test laptop I SMTP'd to the server on didn't need any security settings???

• 7.  RE: CPPM 6.4 SMTP Relay Problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 10, 2014 12:01 AM
    Did you try port 587 instead of 465. Also If you can post back what TAC finds out.

• 8.  RE: CPPM 6.4 SMTP Relay Problem

Posted Jun 19, 2019 04:15 AM

is there any update on this? I ran into the same issue with 6.6.10 and a Microsoft Exchange infrastructure.

The CPPM IP has been whitelisted on the exchange servers.

EDIT: I just received got a note that there is a loadbalance (Netscaler) involved in this. The IP I configure in the SMTP setting is a loadbalancer IP.

• 9.  RE: CPPM 6.4 SMTP Relay Problem

Posted Jul 02, 2019 03:34 AM

just to let you know:

In my case it was a problem which was caused by the loadbalancer. If I put in the IP Address of one of the mailservers directly everything works as expected.