Security

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

CPPM - Differentiating authentication requests coming from iPads

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  CPPM - Differentiating authentication requests coming from iPads

Posted Nov 10, 2012 01:31 PM

As one part of a simple ClearPass solution I'm trying to implement, my customer is requesting a "BYOD" SSID that will allow any unknown devices to connect, given proper AD credentials.  However:

- laptops must also pass the OnGuard java applet checks (no problem)

- iPads must be allowed on the same SSID (?)

I know this could be taken care of using the Onboard solution but the customer does not want Onboard or Profile.  I need to find a method to differentiate the access requests coming from iPads so they can bypass the applet as it is not supported by iOS.  One idea I wanted to try was to just allow access if the authentication method was EAP-TLS.  What I've read so far tells me that this would require TLS certificate provisioning on the iPad prior to authentication.  Is there a more simple solution I'm missing for the CPPM to just recognize an iPad sourced request?

• 2.  RE: CPPM - Differentiating authentication requests coming from iPads

Posted Nov 10, 2012 08:26 PM

Nevermind.  I just learned about DHCP Fingerprinting from the Aruba VRD webpage.

• 3.  RE: CPPM - Differentiating authentication requests coming from iPads

Posted Nov 12, 2012 06:44 AM

Hi,

If we can do dhcp fingerprint in the controller what is the point to have clearpass?

Besides the guest provisioning part?

I was under the impression that blocking end-point devices should be done using the profiler in the clearpass.

• 4.  RE: CPPM - Differentiating authentication requests coming from iPads

Posted Nov 12, 2012 12:43 PM

Matching the fingerprint just enables you to recognize the device type.. that doesn't put it on par with a full-fledged profiling solution :)

• 5.  RE: CPPM - Differentiating authentication requests coming from iPads

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 12, 2012 12:51 PM

Clearpass allows you to use the manufacturer and/or OS type as a decision variable during authentication.  The controller will assign a different role during association/authentication, but does not offer the rich policy decisionmaking combinations that is available in clearpass.  In addition, ClearPass is multivendor, so WLAN or LAN manufacturers who are not OS-aware can also leverage the the decisionmaking in clearpass that was not available previously.

• 6.  RE: CPPM - Differentiating authentication requests coming from iPads

Posted Nov 13, 2012 03:54 AM

this sounds like a sales pitch :-)

since DHCP fingerprinting can assign roles it should sofice for me.

• 7.  RE: CPPM - Differentiating authentication requests coming from iPads

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2012 06:25 AM

@shpapy wrote:

this sounds like a sales pitch :-)

since DHCP fingerprinting can assign roles it should sofice for me.

shpapy,

It is a sales pitch for whoever needs the solution.  DHCP fingerprinting alone only allows you to change the role of a user based on the OS of the device.  That is good for users like yourself who only want to make a decision based on OS.

If you have to combine it with other things like teacher+ipad,  and student+ipad you need Clear Pass Policy Manager.

• 8.  RE: CPPM - Differentiating authentication requests coming from iPads

Posted Nov 13, 2012 07:37 AM

so its more like an extended functionality.

got it.

• 9.  RE: CPPM - Differentiating authentication requests coming from iPads

Posted Nov 14, 2012 09:03 AM

i have added the following under services-->enfo.

This is working now and blocked Samsung S3 and apple devices.

Is this a good way to implement or should I use profiler or a different option, I have full clearpass license.

Any suggestions will be gladly appreciated.

3.(Connection:Client-Mac-Vendor EQUALS Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd.)[Deny Access Profile]
    4.(Connection:Client-Mac-Vendor EQUALS Apple, Inc.)

[Deny Access Profile]

• 10.  RE: CPPM - Differentiating authentication requests coming from iPads

Posted Nov 19, 2012 07:55 AM

you are doing this on clearpass now, or the controller?

because i thought that user derivation (i.e. DHCP finger printing) doesnt work with dot1x? also doesnt the above block iPads too?

• 11.  RE: CPPM - Differentiating authentication requests coming from iPads

Posted Nov 19, 2012 07:57 AM

im not using user role derivation in the controller i do it in the clearpass based on vendor mac.

the controller is not a part of the setup for the blocking.