Security

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

CPPM - Enforcing MacAuth if 802.1x fails ?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  CPPM - Enforcing MacAuth if 802.1x fails ?

Posted Oct 25, 2017 04:49 AM

Hi guys,

Has anybody come up with a way to force a client to authenticate against a macAuth service in the case it failed to authenticate against an 802.1x service ?

Imagine an unknown client connects to the network and has an 802.1x supplicant enabled, but without correct credentials and/or proper settings.

From what I understand, this client would trigger an 802.1x service (if present) then would fail to authenticate and get rejected, without a chance to try MacAuth.

What I would like is this client to be reliably redirected to a MacAuth service.

Maybe by caching something during the 802.1x service ? Or maybe by a combination of NAD config + clever service ordering ?

I'll try to achieve this in a lab, but I also wanted to ask you guys.

Thanks in adavnce 

Cheers

• 2.  RE: CPPM - Enforcing MacAuth if 802.1x fails ?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 25, 2017 08:52 AM

This is 100% dependent on the capability of the NAD. There is nothing ClearPass can do to steer this behavior. I assume you're talking about wired?

• 3.  RE: CPPM - Enforcing MacAuth if 802.1x fails ?

Posted Oct 25, 2017 09:01 AM

Hi,

Yes I was talking wired, NAD is an HP 5130.

I've gone throught some of the docs and to this point I didn't find anything like "If dot1x failed then try MacAuth before setting the port to Unauthorized state".

I still have some testing to do, maybe the switch tries both auth types consecutively anyway (if both are enabled on the port), but I seriously doubt it.

Thanks for the reply

• 4.  RE: CPPM - Enforcing MacAuth if 802.1x fails ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 25, 2017 09:05 AM
    Did you look at the Solution Guide for Wired Policy Enforcement? It covers the HPE 5130 in great detail.

• 5.  RE: CPPM - Enforcing MacAuth if 802.1x fails ?

Posted Oct 25, 2017 09:16 AM

Oh nice ! Didn't see that one, thanks a lot :)