Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Captive portal slow to login

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Captive portal slow to login

Posted Jan 29, 2013 03:21 PM

Hi,

I have setup a captive portal which has the user click on an "Accept" button to connect.  As per the instructions here:

https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/HowTo/R-154

This is working, however, when the user clicks Accept, it takes at least 10 seconds for the "Done" button to appear on the top right (this is on an iPhone).  Therefore it appears to the user that it's taking ages to get connected.

When looking at what is happening on the controller, the connected user goes from the logon role to the guest role in about 1 second, so I know thats working fine.

I'm running 6.2.0.2

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Lee

• 2.  RE: Captive portal slow to login

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 29, 2013 04:35 PM

Is it affecting only iPhones or have you seen the same issue on other devices?

• 3.  RE: Captive portal slow to login

Posted Jan 29, 2013 08:48 PM

go to authentication  L3 authentication  and then on the captive portal authentication profile and on the profile you using on Redirect Pause 10 sec put i dont know 3 seconds? or 5 seconds?

see if this fix your issue

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: Captive portal slow to login

Posted Jan 30, 2013 04:43 AM

Hi,

I tried this, I set the redirect pause to 1 sec, but it makes no difference.   If I put in a redirection URL at the bottom of the CP config, it does redirect me right away,  but the "Join" button still doesn't change to "Done" for about 10 seconds.

I don't want to have a redirect URL anyway, I just want to have the user return to the application they were using when the CP login was initiated

Thanks

Lee

• 5.  RE: Captive portal slow to login

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 30, 2013 04:57 AM

Did you try unchecking "Logout Popup Window" in the Captive Portal Authentication profile?

I don't understand where the "Done" or the "Join" buttons are coming from....

• 6.  RE: Captive portal slow to login

Posted Jan 30, 2013 06:33 AM
    Can you please share the screen shot of join or done button please?

• 7.  RE: Captive portal slow to login

Posted Jan 30, 2013 07:03 AM

Hi,

Not sure I can get a screenshot right now, but I will try to explain.

When my CP page is displayed, the page has an Acceptable Use Policy and an "I Accept" button at the bottom.  This is all part of the html that I uploaded to the Captive Portal.

At the top right of the screen when this page is displayed, is the "Join" button, this is not part of the html, it is provided by the iPhone itself.

When I click "I Accept", the Acceptable Use Policy disappears, and I just see a white web-page, but still the "Join" button remains at the top right, for about 10 seconds, then changes to "Done".  when I click "Done" the web-apge disappears and I return back to the application I was in that initiated the Captive Portal process.

On the controller, my role changes from logon to guest as soon as I click the "I accept" button on the web-page.

Hope this makes sense,

• 8.  RE: Captive portal slow to login

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 30, 2013 07:54 AM

• 9.  RE: Captive portal slow to login

Posted Jan 30, 2013 01:37 PM

Ok, so I tried adding the APPLE alias as per Colin's instruction,  but when I do that, I don't even get the web-page appear and I stayed connected to controller in my initial role.

If I remove the APPLE alias, the web-page appears but I still have the same slowness as before.

I tried with a Win7 PC with both IE and Firefox and I after I click "I accept" I see a "web Authentication is disabled, please contact administrator for assistance".  The URL of this page is https://securelogin.arubanetworks.com/auth/cp_disabled.html

One thing to add, I'm testing this in an environment whereby my test clients will not be able to reach the Internet even after successfully getting onto the guest network as there is a firewall in the way,.  I don't know why this would cause me these issues though.

Thanks for all your help

• 10.  RE: Captive portal slow to login

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 30, 2013 01:40 PM

@lee_d_m wrote:

Ok, so I tried adding the APPLE alias as per Colin's instruction,  but when I do that, I don't even get the web-page appear and I stayed connected to controller in my initial role.

If I remove the APPLE alias, the web-page appears but I still have the same slowness as before.

I tried with a Win7 PC with both IE and Firefox and I after I click "I accept" I see a "web Authentication is disabled, please contact administrator for assistance".  The URL of this page is https://securelogin.arubanetworks.com/auth/cp_disabled.html

One thing to add, I'm testing this in an environment whereby my test clients will not be able to reach the Internet even after successfully getting onto the guest network as there is a firewall in the way,.  I don't know why this would cause me these issues though.

Thanks for all your help

What role does the user end up in after you click "Accept"?   That is the key here...

• 11.  RE: Captive portal slow to login

Posted Jan 30, 2013 02:31 PM

Ok, so I think I've figured it out.   I added my proxy settings to the SSID on my iPhone and now when I click Accept, the iPhone's "Join" button changes to "Done" immediately.

I think the iPhone may have been trying to connect to the Internet after I clicked "Accept" and as it couldn't get through my Proxy" it was taking it's time to complete the process.

So that's my iPhone sorted.

Any idea what could cuase the "web authentication is disabled" message on my laptop ?  It actually only seems to happen on IE9.  Firefox is workign now

To answer your question on roles.

My initial role is cp-logon.  My guest role is "guest-authed".   My client had the role of "guest-authed"

• 12.  RE: Captive portal slow to login

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 30, 2013 04:09 PM

Have you assigned your Captive Portal Profile to your initial role? Are the users obtaining the same role when using IE/Firefox? Also check your OSCP settings on IE

• 13.  RE: Captive portal slow to login

Posted Jan 30, 2013 04:41 AM

Hi,

I've only tested with iPhones so far as that is the only device I have available to me.  Will see if I can get some other devices to test