Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Certificate Not Trusted - Captive Portal

This thread has been viewed 34 times
  • 1.  Certificate Not Trusted - Captive Portal

Posted Nov 29, 2012 05:54 PM

Hi there,

Picked up a certificate (Instant SSL type) from Geotrust, placed it on the controller for both the WEB UI and the captive portal.

Problem shows up though I was hoping to avoid....when clients (iPads, computers etc) go to the captive portal screen, they get a certificate error as "Not Trusted".  I am sure I am missing something simple...but is there a way to get around that?

Thanks...

Grant

• 2.  RE: Certificate Not Trusted - Captive Portal

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2012 08:14 PM

Does it show the certificate you purchased in those browsers?  Is it redirecting to the fqdn of the certificate you purchased?

• 3.  RE: Certificate Not Trusted - Captive Portal

Posted Nov 30, 2012 10:36 AM

When I connect to the "Guest" network, the response from the captive portal redirection is "sluggish"...take much longer to appear than when I have the default certificate assigned.

Then, when in comes up (in this case Firefox), I get the following:

The controller has the DNS entry of "aruba-master".  Note...it WAS called arubamaster previously, and though I have changed the name on the controller, I have NOT restarted the controller since the name change....not sure if that has any relevance.

Grant

Capture.JPG

• 4.  RE: Certificate Not Trusted - Captive Portal

Posted Nov 30, 2012 04:29 PM

do you have the trusted CA cert on the client machine. 

the cert presented by the controller should be validated by the trusted ca. 

• 5.  RE: Certificate Not Trusted - Captive Portal

Posted Nov 30, 2012 04:41 PM

I have not manually installed any certicate....being a large certificate provider, I assumed it would be "accepted".

But what is weird is that when I connect to the Aruba WEB UI, which I have ALSO configured to use the certificate, it works just fine....I get the "green" lock.

But the same certificate on the captive portal setup sets off the error.  I may just be missing something really simple (I am not a certificate "expert" by any means), but I assume if it works on the WEB UI, it would work on the captive portal too...

Grant

• 6.  RE: Certificate Not Trusted - Captive Portal

Posted Nov 30, 2012 05:02 PM

Check the show web-server output to see if the switch-cert and the cp-cert are mapped to the same certificate. Error in the browser is more like the browser is not able to validate the issuer of the cert. 

following link might also help you. 

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/927097