Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Cisco ASA VPN - Returning IETF-Framed-IP-Address

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Cisco ASA VPN - Returning IETF-Framed-IP-Address

Posted Nov 27, 2014 12:09 AM

Using Clearpass, I have configured a new Generic RADIUS Service that takes RADIUS calls from IPSEC/L2TP VPN users from a Cisco ASA 5510 8.2 firewall (only thing I have yet to move to Clearpass from NPS). Tests work great for authenication and authorization. Almost there.

I am having trouble knowing how exactly to approach passing the static IP address value stored in AD for some users. NPS has a little checkbox that passes back that value as the IETF-Framed-IP-Address I believe, but I am at a loss as to how to achieve this in Clearpass.

I think I need to make the Enforcement Profile pass it back, but I have no idea what to put in the value field of the profile. Can one of the brilliant airheads please advise?

Capture.PNG

Many thanks,

Aaron

Edit: Clarified the fact that RADIUS was for VPN users

• 2.  RE: Cisco ASA VPN - Returning IETF-Framed-IP-Address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 27, 2014 01:05 AM

Where is it stored in AD? Is it in a text field or are you using the dial-in static IP address option?

If it's the dial-in static IP address field, the data is stored in decimal and may be difficult to convert on the fly to return to the ASA.

ad-staticvpn-1.JPG

ad-staticvpn-2.JPG

If it's a more generic text attribute, we can return it verbatim.

• 3.  RE: Cisco ASA VPN - Returning IETF-Framed-IP-Address

Posted Nov 27, 2014 12:13 PM

It does seem to be an integer in AD. rats!

That would prove difficult to hand back over to the ASA in that format :)

Thanks for looking into this for me!

Aaron

• 4.  RE: Cisco ASA VPN - Returning IETF-Framed-IP-Address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 27, 2014 12:18 PM
    Are you using the dial-in settings for anything other than the ASA (no traditional MS rras)?

You can easily create a custom AD attribute with type string then use a powershell script to copy the existing entries from dial-in.

You'd then be able to reference the value in ClearPass without any conversion and pass it via RADIUS.

• 5.  RE: Cisco ASA VPN - Returning IETF-Framed-IP-Address

Posted Nov 27, 2014 12:26 PM

No, we are only using that one field in the Dial-In Settings, and then only for the ASA's VPN.

Creating that custom AD attribute would certainly fit the bill, but I don't really use it but for a handful of people.

If an attribute were in a useful string state, how would I pass it back as a RADIUS attribute? If you don't want to explain it and want to point me to the right section in the documentation, that's cool too!

Thanks,

Aaron

• 6.  RE: Cisco ASA VPN - Returning IETF-Framed-IP-Address
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 27, 2014 12:48 PM

You would use the parameterized string. Here is an example returning the the dial-in static IP value:

%{Authorization:<AD-Source-Name>:<Attribute-Name}

Here's an example for mine:

%{Authorization:AD_timcappalli-com:DialIn-StaticIP}

enf-ietf-framed-ad.JPG

Since this is not a "typical" attribute for you to use in ClearPass from an AD source, you'll need to define it in your AD authentication source (that's why it has a more user friendly name).

On the attaributes tab of your AD source, click the "Authentication" filter, and add an attribute at the bottom. The "Name" is the exact attribute name in AD (easiest way to find all the attribiutes is to look at an account in ADSI Edit). "Alias Name" is what will be displayed in ClearPass as the attribute name. Choose string in this case.

This attribute will now be available for that AD authorization source in ClearPass.

ad-msradius-attribute.JPG

ad-msradius-request.JPG

• 7.  RE: Cisco ASA VPN - Returning IETF-Framed-IP-Address

Posted Mar 08, 2019 10:10 AM

Hi Tim, this looks like an old post but we are trying to do this now for our VPN setup with Clearpass and static IPs in AD.

In clearpass, I am able to see the dialin IP of the user coming from AD (following your instructions) however when it gets time to send it with the enforcement profile, Clearpass isn't sending it to our ASA.

I do however see it in the access tracker under the Authorization Attributes.

Also, I noticed that in our AD that the IP address are negative numbers, could this be the reason it isn't working?

Any ideas?

• 8.  RE: Cisco ASA VPN - Returning IETF-Framed-IP-Address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 08, 2019 10:12 AM
    Do you see it on the output tab?

• 9.  RE: Cisco ASA VPN - Returning IETF-Framed-IP-Address

Posted Mar 08, 2019 10:17 AM

It is going into the correct enforcement profile but it isn't sending the radius attribute to the ASA.  I added a second attribute to see if that works (a banner) and that gets sent.

enfp.jpgoutput.jpgauth.jpg

filter.jpg

• 10.  RE: Cisco ASA VPN - Returning IETF-Framed-IP-Address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 08, 2019 10:24 AM
    Hm, odd. Can you attached the Log export from the access tracker request? (or you can email it to me)

• 11.  RE: Cisco ASA VPN - Returning IETF-Framed-IP-Address

Posted Aug 05, 2019 11:41 PM
    Hello,

I am using today ClearPass Policy Manager 6.7.10.109323.
    I followed same steps and I got to the same point:
    - I see the attribute on the Input \ Authorization:TPRO-AD:DialIn-StaticIP but shows nothing on the output and hence AnyConnect VPN Client doesn't receice the Dial-IN IP.

Any idea "about the next step"?

Thanks,
    Florin.

• 12.  RE: Cisco ASA VPN - Returning IETF-Framed-IP-Address

Posted Aug 06, 2019 04:31 AM

I did check logs and it's written there:

[RequestHandler-1-0x7f7e069f4700 h=756 c=R00000015-01-5d48f595] ERROR Common.RadiusVendorAttrMap - Invalid value for Vendor=IETF Attribute=8 Value=186611383 Type=IPv4Address

Any advice?

• 13.  RE: Cisco ASA VPN - Returning IETF-Framed-IP-Address

Posted Aug 07, 2019 09:21 AM

Here's what I did:

- decided to use an unused AD Attribute: extensionAttribute_no12

- created a Powershell script to copy the STATIC IPv4 address to this String Type extensionAttribute_no12

- replaced on the AD Source Attributes the thread suggestion msRADIUSFramedIPAddress extensionAttribute_no12

And it finally works.

• 14.  RE: Cisco ASA VPN - Returning IETF-Framed-IP-Address

Posted Mar 24, 2019 05:36 AM

Hey Alamay! Good question. I think you have to install VeePN. Because your VPN tells the search engine that you are, in fact, in that location and are making the same searches a local person would.