Security

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Cisco WLC7.4 + AirWave7.7.8 | 2 questions.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Cisco WLC7.4 + AirWave7.7.8 | 2 questions.

Posted Jan 27, 2014 03:47 AM

Hi Guys,

Good morning.

• I deployed a demo in one of hopefully new and upcoming Aruba solutions client of mine :)
    • The client got Cisco WLC7.4 controlling his wireless environment (Yes ..his problem..he choose Cisco in the past :) )
    • I connected the Cisco controller to the AirWave 7.7.8 , and everything working just fine. :smileyhappy: (Rapids/VisualRF/Reports/Triggers and more)

BUT:

1. Not like in Aruba controller connected to AirWave... In Cisco WLC7.4 connected to AirWave I see all the client devices OS as unknown. Any reason ? I  can see the chipset but not the OS.

2.I also connected some Cisco wired switches to the Demo Airwave,The client asked me if the Airwave using CDP while using the SNMP in order to get all the needed switches info from the backbone switch/core?

Any Airhead here can advise?

Thanks in advance.

Me

• 2.  RE: Cisco WLC7.4 + AirWave7.7.8 | 2 questions.
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 27, 2014 05:12 AM

1.  Cisco does not provide Client OS information via SNMP.  The chipset is obtained by the manufacturer OUI of the mac

2.  Airwave will use CDP to discover devices.  The device credentials (at minimum SNMP) need to be setup in Device Setup> Communication for Aruba to be able to discover that platform's devices automatically via CDP.  The device will also needs to be reachable via SNMP from Airwave.  When users setup SNMP on their WLC, sometimes they lock them down via subnet and it does not allow Airwave to poll the WLC.  This configuration is part of the SNMP configuration on the WLC.

• 3.  RE: Cisco WLC7.4 + AirWave7.7.8 | 2 questions.

Posted Jan 27, 2014 05:14 AM

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Cisco WLC7.4 + AirWave7.7.8 | 2 questions.

Posted Jan 27, 2014 08:33 AM

So 7.4 is supported on AMP 7.7.8....documentation needs to be updated then.

• 5.  RE: Cisco WLC7.4 + AirWave7.7.8 | 2 questions.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 27, 2014 08:37 AM
    The same base features that were supported before. If any features in particular were added they would be in the release notes

• 6.  RE: Cisco WLC7.4 + AirWave7.7.8 | 2 questions.

Posted Jan 27, 2014 09:02 AM

I was refering to the "Supported Infrastructure Devices" doc, it says up to 7.2. I should have been more specific.

• 7.  RE: Cisco WLC7.4 + AirWave7.7.8 | 2 questions.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 27, 2014 09:17 AM
    Works and Supported are two different things :)

• 8.  RE: Cisco WLC7.4 + AirWave7.7.8 | 2 questions.

Posted Jan 27, 2014 09:19 AM

Very true. touch?

EDIT: the ? was supposed to an e with a french accent é guess the board doesn't like it

• 9.  RE: Cisco WLC7.4 + AirWave7.7.8 | 2 questions.

Posted Jan 30, 2014 05:44 AM

Airwave is multi vendor ... there must be a way to get this info.(As far as i hope) :smileyembarrassed:

1. So there is no way to get device OS type from cisco controllers (WLC 7.4) at all?
    2. There is no way to get device OS from cisco ICE that installed on the same network ? Please advise.
    3. maybe with one of thoese methods?

• DHCP REQUEST
    • HTTP
    • SNMP
    •  NMAP
    • NETFLOW

anyone can advise to me? :smileyindifferent:

I have a running POC in a cisco envrioment - and the client would like to see the client OS in Airwave :smileysurprised: