Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass API - Get Endpoint lists and filter based on endpoint attributes

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  ClearPass API - Get Endpoint lists and filter based on endpoint attributes

Posted Dec 10, 2017 05:12 AM

Hello community,

I'm playing around with ClearPass API Explorer, and what I'm trying to do is to get a list of endpoints in my endpoint repository, and filter the result using endpoint attributes. The sample data for an endpoint looks like this:

"_embedded": {
        "items": [
          {
            "id": 3004,
            "mac_address": "f822934bb108",
            "status": "Known",
            "attributes": {
              "Owner": "user1@example.com",
              "social_vip": "",
              "Device IMEI": "01 374800 460669 4",
              "Device Name": "iOS",
              "Device Type": "iOS",
              "Device UDID": "50e082617c1c07c25dd12706b79be6a",
              "Product Name": "iPhone6,1",
              "social_roles": "[]",
              "social_groups": "[]",
              "social_userType": "Member",
              "social_username": "user1@example.com",
              "social_timestamp": "1512108128",
              "social_objectType": "User"
    }
    ]
    }

I can filter the result based on an endpoint's MAC address by specifying this syntax in the filter box:

{"mac_address": "<mac address>"}

But when I tried to filter based on associated attributes of an endpoint using this syntax:

{"attributes": {"social_username": "user1@example.com"}}

it failed, and the API Explorer responded with code 422 which said invalid filter expression. So I know my filter syntax for endpoint attributes was not correct, but how should I configure it then?

Thank you,

• 2.  RE: ClearPass API - Get Endpoint lists and filter based on endpoint attributes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 10, 2017 10:58 AM
    You cannot filter on attributes today.

• 3.  RE: ClearPass API - Get Endpoint lists and filter based on endpoint attributes

Posted Dec 10, 2017 10:50 PM

Thanks Tim for your quick reply. I'll try a different solution then.

• 4.  RE: ClearPass API - Get Endpoint lists and filter based on endpoint attributes

Posted May 17, 2018 04:00 AM

For me, fetching half a million endpoint records and filtering afterwards is not an option. Filtering on attributes is a really basic and important feature. I hope this implementaiton will find it's way into a future version of the API.

Also, @Zaffiro what alternate solution did you come up with?

• 5.  RE: ClearPass API - Get Endpoint lists and filter based on endpoint attributes

Posted May 17, 2018 10:51 AM

Hi Mart,

Previously I had a requirement  to get a list of endpoints belong to a certain user. My first thought was to filter based on the social_username attribute associated with an endpoint. But as you can see it failed. So my alternate solution back then was to get all the user certificates based on subject_common_name attribute, and extract the mac addresses embedded inside those certs.

But I believe starting from version 6.7.0, ClearPass API has support for endpoint attributes filtering. I tried {"social_username": "user1@example.com"} and it worked (notice there's no "attributes" keyword in the filter syntax). I think you should try again and see if it works for your case.

Regards,

• 6.  RE: ClearPass API - Get Endpoint lists and filter based on endpoint attributes

Posted May 17, 2018 03:56 AM

I understand that filtering on specific attributes is not supported, but is it possible to filter if an Endpoint holds any attributes at all?

I tried several filter expressions, amongst them : 

{"attributes":{"$exists":true}}

without success.

• 7.  RE: ClearPass API - Get Endpoint lists and filter based on endpoint attributes

MVP
    Posted Mar 12, 2019 04:05 PM

@cappalli wrote:
    You cannot filter on attributes today.

When is that support ecpected?

• 8.  RE: ClearPass API - Get Endpoint lists and filter based on endpoint attributes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 13, 2019 09:35 AM

This was added in CPPM 6.7.2