Security

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass - Disabling Automatic Updating

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  ClearPass - Disabling Automatic Updating

MVP
    Posted Oct 11, 2017 12:57 PM

Good afternoon all,

With the recent issue with the AV update that crashed multiple clearpass servers, I would like to ensure the AV/Posture updates are not automatically downloaded by ClearPass, so I can apply them in test environments prior to production. How would I go about that? I know there is an option in Cluster-Wide Parameters, but I don't know if that's for the right updates.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: ClearPass - Disabling Automatic Updating

• 3.  RE: ClearPass - Disabling Automatic Updating

MVP
    Posted Oct 11, 2017 02:26 PM

@Cappalli thank you for the information. I'll take that option into account, but do we know the option in Cluster-Wide Parameters - does that include AV/Posture and Firmware updates? I looked up the description in the User Guide and it isn't specific.

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: ClearPass - Disabling Automatic Updating

Posted Oct 11, 2017 01:31 PM

Curious on this, too. We've identified three approaches:

1. Remove subscription ID.
    2. Toggle Cluster-wide parameter
    3. Block via some other means. Proxy, content filter, etc.

The one you've suggested (#2) seems like it will produce the least amount of red scary text on the Updates page. Hoping that someone from Aruba can chime in.

• 5.  RE: ClearPass - Disabling Automatic Updating

MVP
    Posted Oct 11, 2017 02:28 PM

@mcdaviddj I agree with those three approaches. I'm hoping #2 also solves the same problem, but I also need verification to be sure.

The other easiest option is #1, as some places have different teams who manage resources, and #3 could take some time to get done and undone.

• 6.  RE: ClearPass - Disabling Automatic Updating

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 12, 2017 05:05 AM

In Service Parameters --> Clearpass System Services you could put a dummy proxy address in there.

You could also put a fake DNS entry on your DNS server for clearpass.arubanetworks.com.

Neither of these are elegant though.

• 7.  RE: ClearPass - Disabling Automatic Updating

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 11, 2017 06:57 PM

Option 2 is only for software updates.