Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass Guest API. Get password

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  ClearPass Guest API. Get password

Posted Feb 08, 2017 08:02 AM

Hi, could you help me with it?
    1. Is it possible to get somehow guest's password via REST API like a GET /guest/{guest_id}? Because now it does not return password at all
    2. Are you going to get rid of SOAP API for further releases?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: ClearPass Guest API. Get password

MVP
    Posted Feb 08, 2017 09:54 AM

1. Aruba's main documentation for the REST API is the API Explorer builtin to ClearPass at https://[cppm-server]/api-docs. I do not see how you can  retrieve the password as part of the JSON output when using a GET request.  I tried but you should contact Sruba support or your account team for assistance in configuring the access. I know there is a special setting (disabled by default) to let Admins see the guest password.

Example:

curl -X GET "https://[cppm-server]:443/api/guest?filter=%7B%22Email%22%3A%22[Guest Email]%22%7D" -H "Authorization: [Token]"  -m 30 -k -s

2. Aruba has deprecated the older APIs in fopavor of the REST API. I am currently moving some of my services from the eTIPS API to the REST API. 

• 3.  RE: ClearPass Guest API. Get password

Posted Feb 09, 2017 12:57 AM
      |   view attached

Thanx for your answer.

Yes i tried to do same and even use '&expand=password' REST feature to force retrieve password but without success :(

btw i do it with Super Administrator rights.

But SOAP returns it without any problems.

I know there is a special setting (disabled by default) to let Admins see the guest password.

Seems i have this option is turned on, cause now i can see it on my GUI (see screenshot)

2. Just i have desktop client which is using SOAP API and customer want to get rid of it to use REST API instead of (he afraid SOAP to be removed for further releases).

• 4.  RE: ClearPass Guest API. Get password
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2017 12:14 PM

The SOAP, XML-RPC and eTIPS API are not going anywhere.  They will not be receiving any updates however.

There is no way to get the password out, and this is by design.  Note you also need to set the password on save as the REST API will not auto generate one.