Security

iva
New Contributor

ClearPass - NAS-Port-Id to external Syslog

We have configured ClearPass to send a lot of useful information to our log server (Splunk) using Syslog Export Filters provided (http://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=15500). One very useful attribute is missing though: "Radius:IETF:NAS-Port-Id". This would allow us to determine e.g. which device is connected to which Switchport.

Can anybody give me the custom sql query syntax that I need for ClearPass to forward the NAS-Port-Id to an external Syslog server. I have found the following syntax (http://www.jakesbazaar.com/2016/08/04/aruba-clearpass-sql-filters/), but it keeps giving me a syntax error.

MVP

Re: ClearPass - NAS-Port-Id to external Syslog

I haven't tested this but it was accepted as a filter. It's pretty much the one posted on jakesbazaar.com/ but it wasn't accepted initially. 

Not sure why this happened but all I did to get CPPM to accept it was to replace the ' marks around 'Radius:IETF:NAS-Port-Id' with ", then changed them back to ' and it was accepted.

I removed the start and end time as that wasn't being accepted either.

SELECT tips_dashboard_summary.id as session_id, source as req_source ,user_name,service_name,alerts_present,nas_ip,nas_port,conn_status,login_status,error_code,host_mac as mac_address,tips_dashboard_summary.timestamp,tips_dashboard_summary.write_timestamp,attr_value,attr_name FROM tips_dashboard_summary INNER JOIN tips_session_log_details ON tips_dashboard_summary.id = session_id where attr_name = 'Radius:IETF:NAS-Port-Id';

Caveat, I'm no SQL expert so I'd recommend someone taking a look at the command to make sure it wont put too much strain on your CPPM server.

Cheers

James

Cheers
James

-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------@whereisjrw-------------------
------------------------blog-------------------------
ACCX #540 | ACMX #353 | ACDX #216
-----------Mobility First Expert #11----------

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
iva
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply....I will try to test it soon!

iva
New Contributor

Hey James

I finally got around to testing your DB query. The good news: it working! I am receiving logs ocntaining the NAS Port ID. The bad news: there are countless logs per second for the same client, similar to the log shown at the bottom. This will produce way too much overhead and I have deactivated the export filter as a result.

Is there any way to optimize this?

Kind Regards

Dec 20 15:06:44 10.7.10.223 2016-12-20 15:06:44,170 10.1.8.230 CPPM_RADIUS_NAS-Port-ID 61201 1 0 session_id=R000e2ee5-01-585921db,req_source=RADIUS,user_name=d47856004231,service_name=svc_swl_wired_client_lan,alerts_present=0,nas_ip=10.1.9.152,nas_port=50140,conn_status=Unknown,login_status=ACCEPT,error_code=0,mac_address=d47856004231,timestamp=2016-12-20 13:19:39+01,write_timestamp=2016-12-20 13:19:40.228309+01,attr_value=GigabitEthernet1/0/40,attr_name=Radius:IETF:NAS-Port-Id
MVP

Probably, but I'm not that good at SQL queries to be honest!

Hopefully someone else will chip in.

Cheers
James
Cheers
James

-------------------@whereisjrw-------------------
------------------------blog-------------------------
ACCX #540 | ACMX #353 | ACDX #216
-----------Mobility First Expert #11----------

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: