Security

Occasional Contributor II

ClearPass Portal URL

We are working on a new soluton for campus where students authenciate to 802.11 and then can go to a Clear Pass portal page to register non-802.11 devices like Roku, game consoles, etc.  Currently the portal is using a URL that contains IP address and we would like to use something (CNAME) like devices.millsaps.edu.  How can we change the URL for the Clear Pass portal?

Guru Elite

Re: ClearPass Portal URL

Add a CNAME in DNS pointing to your ClearPass VIP and be sure that name is valid in your HTTPS certificate.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480

Are you using an Aruba controller ?
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Architect @WEI
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA

Victor - yes we are.

Tim - thanks for prompt response.  The default URL is https://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/guest/auth_login.php.  I tried to add a CNAME using this and it does not work.

Guru Elite

You should never be accessing ClearPass by IP. Do you have all the proper A records created for your cluster?

Believe so according to set up guide.  If we did not use IP it would use server name which is also not desireable.  The issue with the whole thing is we bought support to install and configure when it was Aruba only.  We did not install until after HP/Aruba merger and we got left out in the cold with confiuration set up so we are doing it based on guide and this forum.  What we thought would be an easy process has turned into a nightmare and we keep hitting walls with Aruba/HP.  Sorry - had to vent a little  

Guru Elite

Why are FQDNs not desirable? This is required for nearly any product.

Would not mind a FQDN if we were auto-redirecting to portal page but to tell students to go to https://longservername.XX.XX.edu/guest/auth_login.php was not ideal on campus.  Would like to use CNAME like devices.millsaps.edu or something similiar to make it easier to remember but if you are saying we cannot then we may have no choice.

Guru Elite

You need to setup proper A records before you can create a CNAME.

Do you have a white paper on this so I can go through and verify this is done properly?  Or a link I can find it?

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: