Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass Winbind Reply Failed

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  ClearPass Winbind Reply Failed

MVP
    Posted Jun 11, 2018 01:56 PM

Hey all,

I am trying to join a new ClearPass server to the domain, but am having strange issue. During join process, I received the following warning:

netjoin-failed.png

But it appears to have joined successfully.

I then attempted an authentication with a domain-joined windows PC, and it was REJECTED. The Alert tab shows:

access-tracker-alert.png

Looking into the logs of this error shows the following:

access-tracker-logs.png

Not sure what the issue could be, never ran into this same problem when joining to a domain. I verified the clearpass server object existed in AD and it was a member of the default computer OU, which is where another CPPM server also exists and is working without issue.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: ClearPass Winbind Reply Failed

Posted Jun 11, 2018 02:10 PM
    What version are you running on that ClearPass

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 3.  RE: ClearPass Winbind Reply Failed

MVP
    Posted Jun 11, 2018 02:18 PM

• 4.  RE: ClearPass Winbind Reply Failed

MVP
    Posted Jun 19, 2018 02:40 PM

It appears there is some issue translating the clients domain name and the domain appended to the machine authentications - anyone ever run into that?

Customer domain is ABC123, but devices joined to the domain use device1.123abc.com for example.

Seems like it can't translate between them.

• 5.  RE: ClearPass Winbind Reply Failed
    Best Answer

MVP
    Posted Jun 20, 2018 04:54 PM

Opened a TAC case and we worked with the domain admin and found that the smb_<client domain>.conf file was missing a few lines compared to a working server in the environment.

The primary line missing is the following:

samba-lines-missing.png

After matching up the files, we were able to test a successful domain machine authentication. We also restarted the domain service prior to testing. The other lines missing were under a Logging section, but not sure they played any role in the issue.

TAC indicated it may be a bug in the code upgrade to 6.7.3 and collected log files and config backup to try and review.