Security

last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass - database access

This thread has been viewed 50 times
  • 1.  ClearPass - database access

MVP
    Posted Dec 19, 2013 06:52 AM

I'm trying to connect to a ClearPass databases to see how and what exactly is saved so I can hopefully use some of that with a custom query to satisfy customer requests.

One such customer request resulted in a blacklist-user-db query that polls the user_id from one of its tables and then does some amazing magic with that. These queries usualy come from Aruba support.

Now, having received such a query again I'd like to adapt it a little bit and for that I'd need a look into the table and records itself to see what I can actualy use.

For this I downloaded DbVisualizer and plugged in the database settings I could find for the database source. 

This however does not let me in.

Has any tinkered with (looked into) a ccpm database like this succesfully?

Care to share a tip or 2?

• 2.  RE: ClearPass - database access
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 19, 2013 03:50 PM

A couple things you need to do..

1. make sure you have appexternal password set

appexternal.png

2. custom properties on the sql SSL

dbvis1.png

dbvis2.png

• 3.  RE: ClearPass - database access

Posted Nov 30, 2017 06:31 PM

Just was trying to use pgadmin on 6.6.8, and it seems as 5432/tcp is now closed. Nothing seems to be mentioned on the 6.6.8 release notes about this potential change. 

$ nmap 172.16.55.46 -Pn -p 5432
    5432/tcp closed postgresql

Anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks,

Justin

• 4.  RE: ClearPass - database access

Posted Dec 01, 2017 09:55 AM

After rebuilding a new server in the lab, it looks like there was some corruption with the config files that it was using for iptables. The services is starting and the port is listening as expected on 6.6.8. 

$ nmap 172.16.55.47 -Pn -p 5432
    PORT STATE SERVICE
    5432/tcp open postgresql

After going back and carefully reviewing services when server was booting, it was clear that cpass-firewall was failing after succesfully loading firewall rules with iptables. 

cpass-firewall-failed.png

cpass-firewall-ok.png

Active Firewall Rules from iptables can also be found by collecting clearpass logs and selecting System Logs.  After extracting the logs, you can navigate to SystemLogs => network-info.txt and scroll down the page until you see "Iptables rule:"

I have listed a snipit for just 5432/tcp from the netwrok-info.txt log file of a correctly working filter. If you dont see the lines for dpt:5432 listed in the input rules, you may be affected by corruption of iptables as well. 

Table: filter
    Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
    num target prot opt source destination

16 tcp -- 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 tcp dpt:5432

30 ACCEPT tcp -- 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 state NEW tcp dpt:5432

You can also open up the SystemLogs => service-info.txt file and see which services have been started by the opperating system. You dont see the cpass-firewall as displayed form the console screenshots, although you will see tcp/udp ports listed which should reflect the network-info.txt log file. 

• 5.  RE: ClearPass - database access

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 01, 2017 10:08 AM
    I assume you're working with TAC to get this information. What's the TAC case #?

• 6.  RE: ClearPass - database access

Posted Aug 16, 2019 01:12 PM

Hi, Tim

I have already changed the password of the user "appexternal" in "cluster-wide-parameters" and "Insight Repository" but it shows me the image alert. Apparently it's because you need to enable SSL, but ClarPass doesn't have that option to enable it. I have opened a case with CT, but for three days they have not responded. Is there anything I am doing wrong?

Regards,

Carlos VillanuevaCapture.PNG

• 7.  RE: ClearPass - database access

Posted Apr 26, 2015 12:02 AM

I hate to resurect an old thread but I thought this might be the best place to add this

I have the following version of dbVisualizer 

Product: DbVisualizer Free 9.2.6 [Build #2447]
    OS Version: 10.10.2
    OS Arch: x86_64
    Java Version: 1.7.0_80
    Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
    Java Vendor: Oracle Corporation

And have not been able to set up the SSL settings referenced above - I was able to make this work on my older installation on Mavericks - I am now on Yosimite and the latest version. Has something changed or have I missed something, The driver used is the standard posgreSQL and it will not allow any changes

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 10.57.12 PM.png 

• 8.  RE: ClearPass - database access

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2015 09:22 AM
    I'll take a look at it and respond to this thread later. In the mean time, I recommend using pgAdmin3 to connect to the ClearPass databases.