Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass w/ Microsoft NPS as Radius

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  ClearPass w/ Microsoft NPS as Radius

Posted Feb 11, 2016 07:19 AM

Just a quick question. Is it possible to use Microsoft NPS as the main method of radius authentication instead of using ClearPass Radius?

• 2.  RE: ClearPass w/ Microsoft NPS as Radius

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 11, 2016 07:22 AM
    Yes, but ClearPass is much more powerful than NPS and provides a ton of additional policy controls. 

NPS does not scale well and only offers basic yes/no access. 

Sent from Nine

• 3.  RE: ClearPass w/ Microsoft NPS as Radius

Posted Feb 11, 2016 07:35 AM

Thanks for the quick reply @cappalli. Is there a way to load balance the radius with CPPM? I work at a school, so our CPPM server gets hammered with authentications at the beginning of every class. So we would like to ease the load if possible. I know there's a clustering option which we are looking at. But I think that requires additional licensing?

• 4.  RE: ClearPass w/ Microsoft NPS as Radius

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 11, 2016 07:45 AM

If you already have ClearPass, you don't want to go back to NPS.

How many ClearPass servers do you have? You can load balance across multiple ClearPass servers using RADIUS server load balancing on the controller.

• 5.  RE: ClearPass w/ Microsoft NPS as Radius

Posted Feb 11, 2016 08:12 AM

We have one VM 5K CPPM server. We do want to cluster and load balance across 2 CPPM servers with the load balancing from the controller. We would need an additional license to do this?

• 6.  RE: ClearPass w/ Microsoft NPS as Radius
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 11, 2016 08:15 AM

Yes, in order to load balance, you would need another CP-VA-5K.

Did you have a scaling and design discussion wtih your ClearPass partner?

• 7.  RE: ClearPass w/ Microsoft NPS as Radius

Posted Feb 18, 2016 04:37 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes we are looking at this option of adding another 5k vm.