Security

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass 500 disk space

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  Clearpass 500 disk space

Posted Jul 08, 2016 04:08 PM

Hello i got a clietn which is asking me about the 500GB which they find is too much

They are asking me how fast the clearpass will fill those 500GB and if they will need to expand this size in the future.

Does it fill with logs? or in what is used those 500GB? and how long it will retain this(i guess this will depend in the cleanup settings)

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: Clearpass 500 disk space

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2016 05:24 PM
    If you use the VM make the disk thin provisioned.

The total use of disk space depends on which functions you use ( guest/onboard/onguard).

You must provision the second disk as 500gb.

• 3.  RE: Clearpass 500 disk space

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2016 05:28 PM

The disk must be thick provisioned.

ClearPass maintains two copies of the application and database, just like the controllers. This allows you to rollback in the event of a major upgrade failure.

2x 250GB partitions = 500GB disk

• 4.  RE: Clearpass 500 disk space

Posted Jul 08, 2016 05:30 PM

Hello Tim

And how much time that 250GB will last before it does not have any more space, thats the question they are asking us.

• 5.  RE: Clearpass 500 disk space

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2016 05:32 PM
    It should never run out of disk space. The system will clean itself up based
    on configured intervals and data retention settings.

• 6.  RE: Clearpass 500 disk space

Posted Jul 08, 2016 05:50 PM

One last question

I was reading about the cleanup and i can see that most of the things it will get clean it up after 7 days.

For example logs, access tracker  etc

What about the reports?

If iwant to do a report of something that happened about 7 months ago with the clearpass insigh that would not be possible?

for example count of all authentications  from january (just thinking about any example) it would not be possible? or it has different cleanup rules for the information that the insigh use? i dont see anything related to this in the cleanup rules.

Cheers

Carlos

• 7.  RE: Clearpass 500 disk space

Posted Jun 03, 2018 07:12 AM

Are you refering to the system or data virtual disk?

All the scripts and manuals I know specify to use thin provisioning to the data partition. Do you recommend to use thik?

• 8.  RE: Clearpass 500 disk space

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 03, 2018 07:40 AM

Please show us which manual says to use thin provisioning.  It should be THICK.

• 9.  RE: Clearpass 500 disk space

Posted Jun 03, 2018 07:59 AM

Sorry. I take back the "all manuals". After further inspection I noticed that the "basic" manuals of 6.6 and 6.7 specify the additonal HD should be fixed for both ESX and Hyper-V.

Though in the guide "Installing or Upgrading to 6.7 on a Virtual Appliance" , p. 29, it specficially says (text and screenshot) that for Hyper-v the disk should be Dynamic.

Is it a mistake?

The guide is here: 

http://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Method/attachment/Default.aspx?EntryId=28206

• 10.  RE: Clearpass 500 disk space

Posted Jun 04, 2018 04:47 AM

Joseph

We need a clear answer for the disk type, as we are now in discussions with a major customer, during pilot, about that. Can you confirm that the info about dynamic disk in the article above is a mistake, and the data disk must be fixed? 

10x

Sagi

• 11.  RE: Clearpass 500 disk space

Posted Jul 08, 2016 05:29 PM

For now they are just using Clearpass Guest.

But how woud i know how much space it will consume in 3 years or 4 years?

They want to know that to be prepare that if they need more space they will have it.

Cheers

Carlos