Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass 6.1 response to bad password, user not found

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Clearpass 6.1 response to bad password, user not found

Posted Feb 07, 2014 07:28 PM

If a user tries to authenticate to clearpass -> Active Directory, and is using the wrong username, or bad password, is the users automatically rejected because they failed auth or are they given the default user role for the profile?   I see the default Radius:Aruba:Aruba-User-Role in the Output> Radius Response in the logs, and was a bit confused. I would think it would not receive any user-role, or a Reject one by default.

• 2.  RE: Clearpass 6.1 response to bad password, user not found

Posted Feb 07, 2014 07:46 PM

It depends of what do you have defined as your default Enforcemet profile (Action) under the Enforcement Policy (Decision)

2014-02-07 19_43_29-ClearPass Policy Manager - Aruba Networks.png

• 3.  RE: Clearpass 6.1 response to bad password, user not found
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 08, 2014 10:51 AM

The enforcement policy is for authorization ONLY. Authentication has to succeed first before the enforcement policy is being evaluated.

Bottom-line: if you enter an incorrect username and/or password you will always be rejected.

• 4.  RE: Clearpass 6.1 response to bad password, user not found

Posted Feb 18, 2014 05:11 PM

Thanks for the clarification,  the problem I was having was  that users with clearly bad usernames were showing up on my network.  The issue turned out to be not about authentication vs authorization but instead about  inner and outer Identities,  Androids have the builtin settings to auth with one set of credentials but make visible in the logs a different set.  Here is a post with same issue:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AAA-NAC-Guest-Access-BYOD/Inner-and-outer-identity-802-1x/m-p/139107#M9775