Security

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass 6.3.1 how to set a default expiry for a MACTrac device?

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Clearpass 6.3.1 how to set a default expiry for a MACTrac device?

Posted Apr 07, 2014 10:48 AM

Hello,

I have configured my Clearpass guest to login our users as MACTrac operators, they are able to log in and create a new device using it's mac. 

However, it gives them no expiry. I work at a school campus and would like to set a default expiration time on user created devices. This way, we can go through and clear out expired devices at an interval we determine appropriate. 

As an Admin I know I could change the expiration manually, which is what I would intend to do for special circumstances, but I don't want to have to go in behind each person and set an expiration. 

In the fields and views I see where the text for the expiration is displayed, but I haven't found a location to set a default. In the manual I notice it consistently says that there is no expiry for these devices. I really hope there is a way to change that default. 

• 2.  RE: Clearpass 6.3.1 how to set a default expiry for a MACTrac device?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 07, 2014 10:53 AM

You can duplicate the default form, set an initial value for the expire_time field and then hide the field from the form.

modify-expire.PNG

• 3.  RE: Clearpass 6.3.1 how to set a default expiry for a MACTrac device?

Posted Apr 07, 2014 11:10 AM

Ah, That's a clever way to accomplish this. Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Clearpass 6.3.1 how to set a default expiry for a MACTrac device?

Posted Apr 08, 2014 12:23 PM

So I had to unhide the interface to see if I saw what the issue is. I am drawing a blank. 

When attempting to create a new device with expiration set, I get "Parameter must be an integer"  if I have Expire_Time field added into the form. I figure it has to be a validation parameter of some sort, but I am honestly not sure where this error is coming from.

I can remove it from the form and everything works just dandy. 

guest1.JPG

guest2.JPG

guest3.JPG

EDIT: This same error happens even when I remove the 1y initial value. 

• 5.  RE: Clearpass 6.3.1 how to set a default expiry for a MACTrac device?

Posted Apr 08, 2014 12:36 PM

Sorry to double post. I have figured out my issue I believe. I will update this post once I test.

Figured out that my expire_time is by default an Int. I created a copy of it and will change the data type to see if I get better results.

Setting my expire_time to a string or no data type I get the following error in place of the integer error.

Policy definition error: unknown value_format ''       

• 6.  RE: Clearpass 6.3.1 how to set a default expiry for a MACTrac device?

Posted Apr 07, 2014 06:37 PM
    Looking todo same thing. How do I set this value for less than one hour? (I.e. 30min)

• 7.  RE: Clearpass 6.3.1 how to set a default expiry for a MACTrac device?

Posted Jul 21, 2014 03:21 PM

I seem to have a similar issue with my expiration time. In my case the expiration field is populated with a static entry from the past. When I try to create the new device I get the error "The expiration time occurs pror to the activation time". I tried following the previous given instructions to no avail. Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Mac_create_with_expire_time.JPG

expire_time_field.JPG

• 8.  RE: Clearpass 6.3.1 how to set a default expiry for a MACTrac device?

Posted Aug 21, 2014 11:02 AM

So the issue here is that you're using the field "expire_time" which expects an integer-based time/date stamp, instead, use the "expire_after" variable and set it t a value you have made valid in "Guest Manager" .

Screenshot 2014-08-21 10.49.44.jpg

After creating a valid value for "expire_after", add the field to your form and override the default value and interface type (to hidden)

Screenshot 2014-08-21 10.45.56.jpg

Screenshot 2014-08-21 10.46.05.jpg

Check off the box that instructs the form to always submit with initial value:

Screenshot 2014-08-21 11.00.14.jpg

Then test your form and you should get the desired results:

Screenshot 2014-08-21 10.45.46.jpg

Enjoy!