Security

Occasional Contributor I

Clearpass Enforcement for Mobile Apps

Hi Team,

Good evening.

For Clearpass, can we configure an enforcement or rule which redirects mobile guest users to install a mobile Application after they have logged into the captive portal?

To make it clearer, the flow of the scenario is:

1. Mobile users (using android or iphone), connects to the Guest SSID.

2. Once Mobile users have logged in or registered using the captive portal, Appstore(for Iphones) or Playstore (for Android) will load showing the application to install. If the device already has the app, it will not load the Appstore or Playstore.

3. After installing the application, only then can user be able to use the connection.

Is the flow above understandable?

I know that after captive portal authentication we can direct the user to a webpage, but I am not sure if Clearpass can do the function above.

Regards,

Ricardo 

Guru Elite

Re: Clearpass Enforcement for Mobile Apps

There is no way for ClearPass to detect whether or not the app is already installed but you can definitely change the redirect to point to an App store. It would require some php magic to detect the OS and send to the right one.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Occasional Contributor I

Hi Tim,

Good afternoon.

Very sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the information and will see how I can accomplish this in clearpass.

Also for detecting the mobile OS, isn't it possible to get that information by enabling Profiling?

Again thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Ricardo Palma Jr.

MVP

detecting the mobile OS shouldn't be a problem. certainly when you can have the DCHP requests send to the ClearPass.

your second option isn't possible like Tim mentions. you could consider showing a general landing page asking to install. but enforcing will be dificult.

Guru Elite

You'll want to check the OS via user agent with php so you won't have to create multiple captive portals.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: