Security

MVP

Clearpass Guest - HTTP session "Unrecognized Name"

Hi All,

Last week, I ran into an issue I'd not seen before.

The end-user's Clearpass version is 6.1.4.61038. It's a global setup, so upgrading is a bit tricky for the time being.

The Clearpass subscriber in use in this case, is in the UK HQ, as are a pair of 7000 series controllers. The (Clearpass) Guest service works perfectly in this site.

Last week, we added a controller at a nearby factory site, as a local of the master in the HQ, and enabled the guest VAP on it (AP groupings etc). Initially, this was driving the guests out of a broadband circuit at the factory. At this point, I couldn't get the guest registration page to render in the browser. A packet capture of the session on the guest, seems to show responses from Clearpass stating "Unrecognized Name". See attached screenshot.

I'm not sure what could cause this message, but I tried a quick follow on test to rule some things out. Literally all I did next, was change the local controller (at the factory), so that it sent guest traffic into a GRE tunnel to the master in the HQ (on the guest VLAN there). Having done this, it works as expected. Note, I changed no profiles in the VAP to achieve this.

We know you can reach the Clearpass guest reg pages directly off the factory broadband circuit directly, as we did a test for this.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Thanks

Kudos appreciated, but I'm not hunting! (ACMX 104)
MVP

Re: Clearpass Guest - HTTP session "Unrecognized Name"

Are you using HTTPS?

If so do you have a public SSL cert for the ClearPass HTTPS ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
MVP

Re: Clearpass Guest - HTTP session "Unrecognized Name"

It is HTTPs, and the cert is publicly signed.

At the HQ end, it was tested extensively with loads of browsers an client OS types to be sure.

Kudos appreciated, but I'm not hunting! (ACMX 104)
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: