Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass Guest: Is it possible to disallow "leading zero's" in randomly generated guest passwords?

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Clearpass Guest: Is it possible to disallow "leading zero's" in randomly generated guest passwords?

Posted Jul 07, 2016 05:27 PM

We've had occasions where operators have exported guest credentials for conference attendees, imported them into Excel, which then in it's infinite wisdom decides to treat an all digit password as a number, thereby dropping any leading zero's.   'Guest Manager' has an option to 'disallow certain characters' but this seems to only apply to user generated passwords.  Can we extend that capability to randomly generated passwords?  I know I could solve this by appending a non-digit character to the front of the password, but then I'd have to correct user facing documentation and change the expected behavior (as seen by our users), so looking for an alternative solution that least impacts the users.

thanks all

• 2.  RE: Clearpass Guest: Is it possible to disallow "leading zero's" in randomly generated guest passwords?

Posted Jul 08, 2016 04:34 AM

I don't think this is possible at present.

You would need to amend the password settings to "Format Picture" and set it as something like "u########" to add a character before the digits.

Alternatively you need to format the cell in Excel so that it doesn't count that cell as a number, it uses text.