Security

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

[Clearpass QuickConnect]

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  [Clearpass QuickConnect]

Posted Oct 04, 2012 10:53 AM

Hi Gurus!

A quick questions here.

We are know there is some overlapping with regards to Onboard and QuickConnect.

1) Need gurus' advise if we have a school environment and students come and go every year, which will be a better choice if we are only letting them have access to the Wireless and lessen the IT administrators job on manual provisioning?

2) If Onboard is used, every year do I have to manually revoke all graduating students in order to free the licenses in the CPPM?

And it seems that QuickConnect does not supports PSK on certain platforms too.

3) Since a package can be downloaded after configuration of QuickConnect which is then upload to a Local LAN Web Server. Will I be safe to say that the subscription is not required anymore?

Thank you!

• 2.  RE: [Clearpass QuickConnect]

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 04, 2012 12:26 PM

@hoopsanity wrote:

Hi Gurus!

A quick questions here.

We are know there is some overlapping with regards to Onboard and QuickConnect.

1) Need gurus' advise if we have a school environment and students come and go every year, which will be a better choice if we are only letting them have access to the Wireless and lessen the IT administrators job on manual provisioning?

2) If Onboard is used, every year do I have to manually revoke all graduating students in order to free the licenses in the CPPM?

And it seems that QuickConnect does not supports PSK on certain platforms too.

3) Since a package can be downloaded after configuration of QuickConnect which is then upload to a Local LAN Web Server. Will I be safe to say that the subscription is not required anymore?

Thank you!

1.  Quickconnect will definitely ease the burden of configuring 802.1x on those user-owned devices.  If that is all you want to do, that is why you should get quickconnect.

2.  Onboard is used when you want to provision individual credentials to each device so that a user's active directory credentials are not used.  This allows you to revoke individual devices when you know they are lost or misplaced.  BYOD deployments that do not require this granular type of management can use quickconnect, instead.

3.  If you never change your WLAN ever, you might not.

• 3.  RE: [Clearpass QuickConnect]

Posted Oct 04, 2012 12:34 PM

Hi Joseph,

Appreciate your quick response :)

For 3) can I purchase only a single user license and generate the config file and share this with all the users?

• 4.  RE: [Clearpass QuickConnect]

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 04, 2012 12:37 PM

@hoopsanity wrote:

Hi Joseph,

Appreciate your quick response :)

For 3) can I purchase only a single user license and generate the config file and share this with all the users?

The minimum subscription purchase is for a year.  I am not sure what the minimum user purchase is.

• 5.  RE: [Clearpass QuickConnect]

Posted Nov 10, 2012 04:48 PM

Hello Collin

I got a question regarding this.

I can see in the online configurator that is a anually subcritpion...

But my questions is how does the program has control of how many user it distribuite already?

I mean if you distribuite it through USB and all that...

Let say i buy a license of 1000  users for the first year but then

i got 1500 users in the middle of the year then what happens? how does the program knows that im not over distribuiting the users?

I ask this because for example in a univesity of 1000 students, well there will be 1000 students  in which let say students will graduate and well he will leave but new students are coming  does the license from the student that left works for the new students?

It just that i dont understand how this work....

Can you enligh me telling how does this work? i would want to be sure of it before offering it.... it looks like an awsome product, but i need to understand first  how it works correctly... i think i already discover how to set it up but i dont undesrtand that part im tellingyou above

• 6.  RE: [Clearpass QuickConnect]

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2012 06:59 AM

Quickconnect licensing works on the "honor system" and is not enforced.

• 7.  RE: [Clearpass QuickConnect]

Posted Nov 11, 2012 07:39 AM

Nice and not  nice at the same time... hahah

Not all the sales mans should know that.... i mean not alll of them are really honest, just to make a sale they will do anything.....

Anyways i guess this mean i would not have any issue on a school which got  for example 900 students... as students graduate, it keeps on 900 or near it...