Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass Scenario quetion

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Clearpass Scenario quetion

Posted Nov 14, 2016 08:15 PM

This client got 3 SSIDS

Staff(WPA2 Enterprise EAP PEAP)

BYOD( which is student personal devices)

Right now they are authenticating students personal devices with clearpass guest on BYOD SSID

They would like to add teachers personal devices now.   I cannot add it to the BYOD studends becuase they need to be in a different VLAN....

And as far i know i cannot do derived vlan unless im doing l2 authentication and im doing L3 authentication.

Staff vlan 10

BYOD is on vlan 11

Guest is on vlan 12

They would like to add teachers personal devices on vlan 13

What woudl you recommend in this case which wont cost too much if its possible?  that maintain just 3 SSIDS.  The easiest one would be just adding a 4th SSID i guess and maybe authenticating those devices with clearpass guest also.  But we dont want to add another SSID. 

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: Clearpass Scenario quetion

Posted Nov 14, 2016 08:29 PM
    You can reuse the same staff SSID for BYOD
    If you already know what are the school own devices for staff then everything else could be treated as BYOD and use a different user-role/VLAN (You could use the onboarding process)

If needed you can use an MDM solution if the customer has one to allow devices already registered or use an AD membership to allow certain folks to use BYOD devices.

Get Outlook for iOS

• 3.  RE: Clearpass Scenario quetion

Posted Nov 14, 2016 08:31 PM

So i would just need to purchase onboard license for the teachers personal devices?

What modifications do i need to do to the captive portal of the studnets?

• 4.  RE: Clearpass Scenario quetion

Posted Nov 14, 2016 08:44 PM
    It depends of the customer is looking to do .

ClearPass onboarding allows the users to self provisioning / configure their BYOD devices to EAP-TLS (certificate based auth) and ClearPass acts as a Certificate Authority and pushes a unique certificate to each device.

Advantages to this method:
    - more secure
    - users won't locked their AD accounts typing the wrong password since the device will be using certificate based authentication
    - IT admins can deny access by revoking the cert on the device

Ideally you want to do a dual SSID onboard process where you can place a link to the onboarding page in guest captive portal page and once the user the completes the process the device will be configured to use the 802.1x (EAP-TLS)

Get Outlook for iOS

• 5.  RE: Clearpass Scenario quetion

Posted Nov 14, 2016 09:35 PM

So it is possible doing somethign liek this

Use the Captive portal im using alredy for students BYOD

In that captive portal i would have:

Sign in

User name:

Password

Below that iw oudl have 2 links

First link: New student??  This like would redirect to the normal Self service captive portal they already got

Second link: New teacher?? This link would send them to the clearpass onboarding process

For the Staff SSID

I would change this EAP PEAP To eap TLS 

When the teacher finish the onboaridng process it would connect him to the Staff SSID

Here i got a quetion

IF they do not want to buy onboard License for TEAchers devices AND school devices it is possible just to buy the onboard license for teachers devicews only right?

For the school owned devices guess they would need to manually put the certificate to the users i guess or its possible to use a microsoft CA(all the school devices are on the AD So i could send the certificates Via AD policy....

So in the end i dont know if i can use a CA for the teacher personal devices(that would be the Clearpass and a CA of microsoft for school devices. (in which i can send the Certificates via AD.

Both deveices Will be connecting to one SSID that would be STaff SSID.

Also i woudl need a rule that if its a teacher personal devices use vlan 11

and school devices to vlan 12 for example

Is all this possible?

Or there woudl be a better way?

I bealive that if he just have to buy the onboard license only for teachers owned devices that would be ok for the client.

Cheers

Carlos

• 6.  RE: Clearpass Scenario quetion

Posted Nov 14, 2016 09:52 PM
    Below that iw oudl have 2 links

First link: New student?? This like would redirect to the normal Self service captive portal they already got

Second link: New teacher?? This link would send them to the clearpass onboarding process

That's correct

For the Staff SSID

I would change this EAP PEAP To eap TLS

You can support both if you needed to

When the teacher finish the onboaridng process it would connect him to the Staff SSID

Here i got a quetion

IF they do not want to buy onboard License for TEAchers devices AND school devices it is possible just to buy the onboard license for teachers devicews only right?

Correct, you can use AD membership

For the school owned devices guess they would need to manually put the certificate to the users i guess or its possible to use a microsoft CA(all the school devices are on the AD So i could send the certificates Via AD policy....

So in the end i dont know if i can use a CA for the teacher personal devices(that would be the Clearpass and a CA of microsoft for school devices. (in which i can send the Certificates via AD.

Both deveices Will be connecting to one SSID that would be STaff SSID.

if those are Windows domain devices you can use the autocert enrollment(ADCS) or just use PEAP for school owned devices and only use TLS/Onboarding for BYOD

Also i woudl need a rule that if its a teacher personal devices use vlan 11

and school devices to vlan 12 for example

Is all this possible?

Or there woudl be a better way?

Yes , it is possible