Security

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass guest license overhead

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Clearpass guest license overhead

Posted Mar 28, 2017 06:38 PM

We got a clietn which normally they got less than 25 visits everyday

But this client do have like 5 BIG events per year(more than 500 devices)

as far i know the guest license is calculated  7 day roll averague

What would happen if

I got an event on january another in may, another in july and another  october and another in december.

Knowing that we could have more than 700 devices and maybe 1000 devices in each event...

I would be able to go with clearpass policy manager with the base 25 enterprise deivces because hat would be 5 peaks in different monts.

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: Clearpass guest license overhead

Posted Mar 30, 2017 04:18 AM

Hey Carlos,

It looks like you'llbe ok.

From this post it say you only get locked out if you go over the license limiot 4 out of 6 months:

Licensing is based on the number of unique authenticating endpoints (devices) per day.

• This is averaged across a 7 day period to take into account normal peaks and valleys to determine whether or not you are exceeding your limit.
    • If you exceed your limit you will get a warning in the WebUI
    • If it was an abnormal week, nothing will happen and that warning will disappear.
    • If you exceed your license count for 4 out of 6 months, administrator will be prevented from making any policy changes, running any usage reports or troubleshooting any connectivity issues that might arise.
    • At no point will the system stop authenticating users – even if you exceed the license limit.

• 3.  RE: Clearpass guest license overhead

Posted Mar 30, 2017 07:09 AM
    What are you using for CPPM Base licensing ?

• 4.  RE: Clearpass guest license overhead

Posted Mar 30, 2017 09:52 AM

This particular client is just using Base clearpass for policy manager,  they will be using captive portal but they will be authenticating with social media login so i guess no guest license is needed as they are using external authentication.

So they are not using the 25 enterprise licensing for anything actually.

Cheers

Carlos