Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass round robin to AD servers

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Clearpass round robin to AD servers

Posted Oct 18, 2013 02:20 PM

Is there a way to have Clearpass make LDAP query to  a group of ActiveDirectory servers instead of a single server INSIDE of clearpass.  I could buy a load balancer or have different AP groups be routed to different LDAP sources but is there a better way to not have a large load kill a single LDAP server?

• 2.  RE: Clearpass round robin to AD servers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2013 02:53 PM

Instead of an ip address or a fqdn, you could just put the domain in the Hostname parameter.

Authentication is handled by samba/winbind and DNS.  So if you have AD sites and services configured, DNS will return the AD servers that are in charge of those subnets.  Otherwise It will send to any of the AD servers that DNS returns.

ClearPass does not do an LDAP lookup every time.  It caches LDAP  each user for 5 minutes by default.  This setting is controlled by the Cluster Wide Setting "Policy result cache timeout".

source.PNG

• 3.  RE: Clearpass round robin to AD servers

Posted Oct 18, 2013 02:55 PM

I did put in just the domain only, but it appeared to only hit the first server on the list.  How long does it take to switch between the servers?

• 4.  RE: Clearpass round robin to AD servers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2013 03:00 PM

How can you tell which server it is using?

What "list"?  Do you have multiple servers in the Authentication Source?  You only need one.

• 5.  RE: Clearpass round robin to AD servers

Posted Oct 18, 2013 03:02 PM

We only have the one listed, but from the AD logs it appeared to only hit 1. Should a single client hit a different server every time he auths, or should they hit a different server each time?   

• 6.  RE: Clearpass round robin to AD servers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2013 03:22 PM

It probably uses the same server for the same user.  Please see the thread here:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AAA-NAC-Guest-Access-BYOD/Many-authentication-sources/td-p/80128

• 7.  RE: Clearpass round robin to AD servers
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 19, 2013 02:00 PM
    We just worked with a clearpass engineer on a P1 case, and it was determined that when you join to the domain, it will send ALL mschap authentications to the DC you used when joining to the domain. It does NOT round robin. Only when that DC becomes unresponsive will clearpass query DNS, find another DC, and then stay sticky with that one until IT becomes unresponsive.

Clearly, this is an inconvenience. The passwd CLI option is to make the fail-through deterministic rather than relying on thoe "randomness" of querying the domain for DCs.

I'm doing a change tonight to unjoint/join to DCs in an effort to balance load from all subscribers to all DCs.

FYI, as it took quite a bit of effort to lead us to this conclusion.

• 8.  RE: Clearpass round robin to AD servers

Posted Oct 21, 2013 12:50 PM

Thanks Ryan,   Yea that is a bummer.  I will either create a few different auth groups based on location, or mac address (1-5,6-a,b-f) and have each go to a different  server.   It would be nice if they did a more distributed load.   I just placed all my campus on Clearpass and I see only 1 AD server getting hammered.  

• 9.  RE: Clearpass round robin to AD servers
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 21, 2013 01:09 PM

@mattjhughes wrote:

Thanks Ryan,   Yea that is a bummer.  I will either create a few different auth groups based on location, or mac address (1-5,6-a,b-f) and have each go to a different  server.   It would be nice if they did a more distributed load.   I just placed all my campus on Clearpass and I see only 1 AD server getting hammered.  

Mattjhughes,

If you wanted to do that, you would instead setup a number of specific  radius servers in your environment and set them up as Proxy Targets:

targets.png

You would then create a radius Proxy Service and set your scheme to load balance:

proxy.png

You would have to setup a radius server service (IAS, NPS) on whatever of your internal servers you want authentication proxied to.

You can use role mapping based on incoming attributes or attributes received from your Radius server and in turn send back an enforcement policy.

So tl;dr, point to the ClearPass server with the Radius Proxy service configured and it will load balance it to your Radius Servers.

• 10.  RE: Clearpass round robin to AD servers

Posted Oct 21, 2013 04:53 PM

I see what you are saying with the proxy server, but to me the idea of having to create other radius servers seems crazy since that is what we bought clearpass for. Additional configuration for passing ldap attributes, added points of failure.   I  just would think this would be an obvious feature, to be able to have a list of servers and have it rotate.   As a stop gap we have a load balancer in the middle and are testing with that, but kind of disappointing. 

• 11.  RE: Clearpass round robin to AD servers

Posted Oct 21, 2013 05:13 PM
    +1. Well said.

• 12.  RE: Clearpass round robin to AD servers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 21, 2013 06:00 PM

@mattjhughes wrote:

I see what you are saying with the proxy server, but to me the idea of having to create other radius servers seems crazy since that is what we bought clearpass for. Additional configuration for passing ldap attributes, added points of failure.   I  just would think this would be an obvious feature, to be able to have a list of servers and have it rotate.   As a stop gap we have a load balancer in the middle and are testing with that, but kind of disappointing. 

mattjhughes,

If you want to use a load balancer, you will still need to create the individual radius instances behind it, but it at least will provide you the type of load balancing that you require.  I am not sure this is a way around that.

• 13.  RE: Clearpass round robin to AD servers

Posted Oct 22, 2013 01:06 PM

The TCP load balancer is in between the clearpass and the AD servers  rotating which AD server gets the LDAP request from clearpass.   That is the current dev configuration I am running.  I have no desire to run more freeradius servers and have no XP on Microsoft NPS.  The radius server I want to run is Clearpass.   But I could see that may be a viable option for people who have NPS already running I suppose. 

• 14.  RE: Clearpass round robin to AD servers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2013 01:18 PM

@mattjhughes wrote:

The TCP load balancer is in between the clearpass and the AD servers  rotating which AD server gets the LDAP request from clearpass.   That is the current dev configuration I am running.  I have no desire to run more freeradius servers and have no XP on Microsoft NPS.  The radius server I want to run is Clearpass.   But I could see that may be a viable option for people who have NPS already running I suppose. 

Ok,

So you want to loadbalance the LDAP connections?  The from ClearPass, theMSCHAP connections (username and password authentications) occur over samba/Winbind and not over LDAP.  The LDAP connections  that do occur happen over the LDAP ports to obtain user attributes or to see if a user exists, but once a lookup for a user occurs, it is cached for a certain amount of time  and is not done again within that period.  In other words, multiple authentications can occur over samba/Winbind, but only a single LDAP lookup occurs for attributes. 

• 15.  RE: Clearpass round robin to AD servers

Posted Oct 22, 2013 01:19 PM
    FYI - If you're doing PEAP/MSCHAP, it won't use the LDAP calls from 'Authentication source' but rather the domain (specifically the domain controller) you joined under 'server configuration'.

- Ryan -

• 16.  RE: Clearpass round robin to AD servers

Posted Oct 23, 2013 02:19 PM

That explains alot,  I feel like I have learned alot but most of what I learned is that I don't have a great solution :(  Looks like i will need to read up on Microsoft NPS for the auths at least. Thanks both for all the help.