Security

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

CoA WebAuth

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  CoA WebAuth

Posted May 26, 2016 04:24 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have ClearPASS setup to authenticate a user against our AD (after getting a captive portal after a failed MAC AUTH attempt) and once I have done that then I want to send a CoA request back to the controller.

The trouble is that as far as I can see when the request comes in (as seen in the Access Tracker) then it's type is "Application" and therefore there is no "Access Device IP/Port:" listed in the request as the source is local. So when I apply a CoA Enforcement policy it never fires, and I am assuming this is becuase ClearPASS doens't know where to send it?

So, please coud someone help me out and confirm whether is it possible to specify a destination for a CoA Enforcement profile

I can see the IP address of the NAD device in the orginal request in another variables for the item -Application:WebLoginURL:portal_ip.

Hope this makes sense, thanks for your help

• 2.  RE: CoA WebAuth

Posted May 29, 2016 01:16 PM

Nobody!?

• 3.  RE: CoA WebAuth

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2016 01:27 PM
    Is the MAC address available in the url redirect to the web login page? 

• 4.  RE: CoA WebAuth

Posted May 29, 2016 01:29 PM

Hi Tim,

Yes I have the MAC Address - I have all of the info need to make the request.

But how do I speicify a destination IP for the CoA request?

Thanks,

Jaggie

• 5.  RE: CoA WebAuth

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2016 01:32 PM
    You don't. It happens automatically based on session/authentication data. 

Are you able to manually perform a CoA via access tracker? 

• 6.  RE: CoA WebAuth

Posted May 29, 2016 01:35 PM

Ah ok,

No, I cannot make  CoA request from the access tracker as it is greyed out.

Just to confirm that I definelty have CoA active on the NAD, I can make a disconnect request via the guest admin portal but not via access tracker.

Thanks,

Jaggie

• 7.  RE: CoA WebAuth

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2016 01:39 PM

So, what are you trying to do?

You have a user that fails mac auth, so that user gets the captive portal.  You would then want to authenticate that user, right?

• 8.  RE: CoA WebAuth

Posted May 29, 2016 01:46 PM

Yep,

The user is then authenticated via the guest module against for AD.

If the user is authed correctly then we should send a CoA request to the NAD.

The trouble is that the CoA request never fires.

Cheers,

• 9.  RE: CoA WebAuth

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2016 01:49 PM

Wait, if the user is authenticated correctly, why would you send a COA?  The user is just authenticated and goes on his merry way.  A COA is typically sent for a user that is already authenticated that you want to change their status if they use too much bandwidth or they go over their allotted time.

• 10.  RE: CoA WebAuth

Posted May 29, 2016 01:54 PM

Hi,

I might want to add this is not for an ARUBA controller but a Juniper (trapeze) WLC.

The AD auth happens on ClearPASS so there has to be something returned to the controller to take the user out of the walled garden and for them to continue?? unless I am missing something big!

I know with an ARUBA controller the Guest module makes a POST request to the controller and then the controler makes another auth request with the assign username and password and then they get their new atributes and can surf etc.

• 11.  RE: CoA WebAuth

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2016 01:58 PM

Just trying to follow along here, do you have following option set on your ClearPass web page settings?

Screenshot 2016-05-29 at 12.56.48.png

• 12.  RE: CoA WebAuth

Posted May 29, 2016 02:07 PM

Yep, Thats it.

• 13.  RE: CoA WebAuth

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2016 02:11 PM

Well, did you get http submit to work, before trying the more difficult RFC 3576?  If that doesn't work, you might have a few more steps that you would have to take.

• 14.  RE: CoA WebAuth

Posted May 29, 2016 02:15 PM

As far as I know there is know facility to make HTTP POST requests in order to change user info on the Juniper controller so CoA is the only option.

• 15.  RE: CoA WebAuth

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2016 02:22 PM

The screenshot  that I showed you says that method is available for a Trapeze device.  Wouldn't it be difficult if Trapeze required COA functionality just to do captive portal?

• 16.  RE: CoA WebAuth

Posted May 29, 2016 02:26 PM

Err, to be honest I have never seen it in the docs before (although that doesn't mean that it doens't exist!) and I have done a previous implementation using CoA.

I will do some research to see if I can find anything on it.

Thanks,

• 17.  RE: CoA WebAuth

Posted May 29, 2016 02:45 PM

I can find zero documentation about any API that clearPASS could use... :(

I will have to try tommorrow, but without any guides it is going to be difficult to troubleshoot.

This should be possible via CoA though right?

• 18.  RE: CoA WebAuth

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2016 02:53 PM

http post/submit is very standard and is what most manufacturers for Captive Portal authentication.  It is fairly straightforward and does not require an API.  It is a standard.

COA would require correct configuration on your Trapeze device, but it would also require correct coa configuration of the device in ClearPass under Network> Devices.  

Screenshot 2016-05-29 at 13.51.31.png

• 19.  RE: CoA WebAuth

Posted May 29, 2016 02:56 PM

I will have to check tomorrow.

I do have CoA working as I can send a disconnect request via the guest admin portal and I can then see this in the acces tracker. I just cannot launch a CoA request from the access tracker directly.

Thanks for your help so far...

• 20.  RE: CoA WebAuth

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2016 03:23 PM
    There is a special CoA config required for Juniper WLCs. Please reach out to
    your Aruba ClearPass partner.

• 21.  RE: CoA WebAuth

Posted May 29, 2016 03:31 PM

Hi Tim,

Thanks for this. I have ARUBA Care so no partner but can open a case directly.

Do you know where does this special config need to be applied? CoA does work on the Juniper Controller as witness by neing able to send disconnect requests.

Do you have any more info that could help me in opening the case?

Thanks,

Jaggie

• 22.  RE: CoA WebAuth

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2016 03:41 PM
    The custom configuration is applied in ClearPass due to some different
    attributes that the Juniper controller requires.

• 23.  RE: CoA WebAuth

Posted May 29, 2016 03:44 PM

Ok great thanks,

Do you have any refernce that I can give to the support so that they will know what I am talking about straight away, rather than me having to explain (I have tried once already!).

Thanks,

• 24.  RE: CoA WebAuth

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2016 03:46 PM
    "ClearPass Guest on Juniper WLC"

• 25.  RE: CoA WebAuth

Posted May 29, 2016 03:48 PM

Sound good,

Will open a case tomorrow.

Cheers for your help.

Will update here for other in the future. 

• 26.  RE: CoA WebAuth

Posted Mar 01, 2018 09:35 AM

Did you manage to get this working? - We're trying to do the same and running into issues.