03-30-2017 10:31 AM
The network setup has Cisco switches, Aruba Wireless Controller and ClearPass.
One of our University customers has apartments for employees/staff and their families.
1-Staff and their families require wireless connection in their apartments.
2-Staff should have same access privileges as if they are working in their offices.
3-Family members should have wireless access to access internet services only.
4-Smart devices (smart TV, Xbox …) should connect to the network through wireless or wired and accessible by both family members and staff.
• Create new 802.1x SSID with different roles for family members and staff.
• Uncheck deny inter-user traffic so they can access the smart devices on the same vlan.
• Connect the smart devices (mac-authentication) to different SSID but same vlan as the one used by the family and staff.
• Staff and their families will have access to all the smart devices inside the building not only their own devices unless different vlans are configured for each and every apartment(not recommended for management point of view)
• Enabling inter-user traffic may affect the overall performance of the connection since smart devices,staff and families are connected to the same network.
What would be a best practice design based on above?
03-30-2017 10:36 AM
Another alternative would be to drop each family into their own VLAN.
03-30-2017 02:20 PM
Aruba Customer Engineering
Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base