Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Different Captive portal logins for different SSID

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Different Captive portal logins for different SSID

Posted Oct 17, 2013 01:12 PM

HI

I have two SSIDs one is "Client" the other is "Guest"

Both SSIDs are on different vlans and have different firewall rules applied.

They both use captive portal and the built in Aruba user database.

The problem that arises is if I create a new user they can log into both SSIDs.

Is there a way or is this a limitation?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Different Captive portal logins for different SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2013 01:51 PM

If you are using the internal database for users, you cannot control what users in the internal database can connect to what SSID.  You would have to use a separate internal database for that separation.

• 3.  RE: Different Captive portal logins for different SSID

Posted Oct 17, 2013 01:54 PM

How do you create a separate internal database for users and specify which SSID uses what Database?

• 4.  RE: Different Captive portal logins for different SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2013 01:55 PM

You cannot do that.  You can only have a single internal database.  It is really only meant for guests.  Your corporate users, what do they use to login to their computers?

• 5.  RE: Different Captive portal logins for different SSID

Posted Oct 17, 2013 02:31 PM

Our Staff use RADIUS for authentication Vlan 1 but we have two types of guests. Be have business guests that need access to VPNs, Email Web etc, but no access to cooperate network so I put them on Vlan 2 somestimes its a one off. Then we have clients/patients with very restricted web access and they are on Vlan 3. also Isolated

how would this best be acomplished?

• 6.  RE: Different Captive portal logins for different SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2013 05:03 PM

@Labellep25 wrote:

Our Staff use RADIUS for authentication Vlan 1 but we have two types of guests. Be have business guests that need access to VPNs, Email Web etc, but no access to cooperate network so I put them on Vlan 2 somestimes its a one off. Then we have clients/patients with very restricted web access and they are on Vlan 3. also Isolated

how would this best be acomplished?

Okay.  You can create users in the local database that have two different roles:  One will be for business guests and the other will e for clients/patients...  When they authenticate at the Captive Portal, they will get their assigned role, based on who they are.  Their roles will have to firewall restrictions that you mention above.

• 7.  RE: Different Captive portal logins for different SSID

Posted Oct 17, 2013 05:04 PM

One thing you could try is to use the GuestUser:source option in your Enforcement policy

GuestUser:source EQUALS <name of the registration page>
    or
    GuestUser:source NOT_EQUALS <name of registration page>

This value gets create based on the Guest Self-Registration page your user registers against.

This might be one method to separate users stored in the Internal database. It's been a while since I tried this though so I am not sure if this is still valid.

Cheers

• 8.  RE: Different Captive portal logins for different SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2013 05:42 PM

Bourne,

I don't think he has ClearPass at this time...

• 9.  RE: Different Captive portal logins for different SSID

Posted Oct 17, 2013 05:55 PM

Well then ignore all that I said!

I'm an idiot :smileyindifferent:

Cheers

• 10.  RE: Different Captive portal logins for different SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2013 05:56 PM

Hey that's usually my line..... :)

• 11.  RE: Different Captive portal logins for different SSID

Posted Oct 17, 2013 11:24 PM

I'm assuming ClearPass in another licence?  I'm running a 3200 controller with a branch office 651, 7 RAP5 and 4 RAP2

• 12.  RE: Different Captive portal logins for different SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2013 01:59 AM

Clearpass is a different appliance or VM for Guest access, OnBoarding, NAC, Radius, and TACACS+ its not built into the controller.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/clearpass/?click=footer

• 13.  RE: Different Captive portal logins for different SSID

Posted Oct 18, 2013 07:55 AM

I'll Kudos that cjoseph!

Highly recommended to check out ClearPass if you can. It is a great product and will compliment your setup I am sure!

Cheers

• 14.  RE: Different Captive portal logins for different SSID

Posted Oct 17, 2013 08:46 PM
    Haha.... Hopefully you don't mind sharing.... I've already had my fair share of idiot moments.. :D

• 15.  RE: Different Captive portal logins for different SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2013 09:05 PM
    Bourne,

It is not IF you have those moments, but when.

You know what they call people who have those moment earlier than anyone else? Experts :)