Security

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Do all Clearpass servers in a cluster need to be in the same subnet?

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Do all Clearpass servers in a cluster need to be in the same subnet?

Posted Feb 12, 2015 09:26 AM

Greetings - we ideally need to split our ClearPass servers between two Data Centres, for resilience/DR.   Layer-2 comms between the two is not readily available.   Can I still create a Cluster from the ClearPass servers, if they're in different subnets?  All the examples I've seen have them in the same subnet...  Is there a minimum bandwidth (max latency?) required between publisher and subscriber(s)?

If they can be split across subnets, I presume remote controllers would need to target the two Clearpass servers separately (no VIP).  Are there any limits on ArubaOS version needed to achieve this?

• 2.  RE: Do all Clearpass servers in a cluster need to be in the same subnet?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2015 09:31 AM

• 3.  RE: Do all Clearpass servers in a cluster need to be in the same subnet?

Posted Feb 12, 2015 09:55 AM

Thanks Tim - it appears that the 'same-subnet' requirement is limited to Guest authentications, using a web-page (and VIP) then?   If we're doing RADIUS authentications only we could use different subnets for the servers and use AOS 6.4 authentication server load-balancing (?) from the controllers across the two different server IPs?

• 4.  RE: Do all Clearpass servers in a cluster need to be in the same subnet?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2015 09:57 AM
    That is correct.

• 5.  RE: Do all Clearpass servers in a cluster need to be in the same subnet?

Posted Feb 12, 2015 10:51 AM

I just want to add to Tim's coments.

Depending on the sclae of the deployment you MAY want to consider a SLB, there is also another TechNote of mine descibing in a lot of detail a CPPM + F5 deployment/configuration.

In addition, if you want to use the feature to dedicate a SUB to be a standby-PUB this now works over a Layer-3 hop (it used to be enforced as a L2 solution only).... Another Technote of a worthy read is my Clusterering TechNote.