Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

EAP-TLS Username

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  EAP-TLS Username

Posted Aug 29, 2017 05:52 PM

Hello, I'm trying to setup EAP-TLS to have a single certificate on all our mobile/devices laptops with machine or username AD authentication (based on whether it's an AD computer or a mobile device (ios) not in AD).

I have EAP-TLS working and can connect when I disable authentication in my EAP-TLS Authentication Method.  But when I enable authentication in the method it pulls the CN of the certificate to validate against and not the machine name or username/password entered.  My test client is a windows 10 laptop.  Additionally because of this my client logging in Airwave shows the CN name as well and not the actual AD computer name or username.

Is this possible or do I need separate certificates for each device?

• 2.  RE: EAP-TLS Username

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 29, 2017 05:55 PM

You would do a unique certificate per device. Using the same certificate on every device really defeats the point.

• 3.  RE: EAP-TLS Username

Posted Aug 29, 2017 06:01 PM
    We were planning on using EAP-TLS to prevent unauthorized devices from even connecting but still authenticate based on AD (either computer account or user account). Sounds like we need to abondon that plan.

As an alternative I can use clearpass onboard certificate authority to create the certificates for each device but we don't have enough onboard/enterprise licenses at this point. Does each certificate in the CA count against a license?

Thanks!

Get Outlook for iOS

• 4.  RE: EAP-TLS Username
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 29, 2017 06:03 PM

Each certificate in Onboard consumes a license.

If you have ADCS, you can use Group Policy to issue machine certificates to your Windows AD-joined machines and then use Onboard for your mobile devices.