Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Encrypted password in CPPM

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Encrypted password in CPPM

Posted Feb 25, 2013 10:08 AM

Hello,

When I go in CPPM under Identity - Guest Users and edit a guest, I can see his password in clear. Is there a way to change this and hide or encrypt (better) the password so the admin can't see it ?

Thanks

Dimitri

• 2.  RE: Encrypted password in CPPM

Posted Feb 25, 2013 11:12 AM
    There is an option under Guest Manager that says Show guest password or something similar. Under Operator roles you can also limit what the operator can see.

• 3.  RE: Encrypted password in CPPM

Posted Feb 25, 2013 11:18 AM

It's done but I can still see the password in Policy Manager.

• 4.  RE: Encrypted password in CPPM
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 03, 2013 05:35 PM

Yea - I see this too. Seems they forgot this part when merging the two products (or I'm missing something.. :). As far as I can tell there is no way to remove the ability to see the password for the Operators in the CPPM GUI.

TAC case and/or create a feature request.

• 5.  RE: Encrypted password in CPPM

Posted Mar 04, 2013 02:07 AM

Ok, so TAC case and/ feature request done.

Dimitri

• 6.  RE: Encrypted password in CPPM

Posted Sep 05, 2013 03:50 AM

Although the post says it has been solved, there is still no solution for this issue. Will this be included in future releases for clearpass?

• 7.  RE: Encrypted password in CPPM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2013 04:26 AM
    Lets see if I can start a fire storm here. :)

This has always been a debate on the forums. Coming from a security background I understand the concerns and have always told everyone best practice is to not use their secure passwords on a GUEST network.

But.... The main thing that is always brought up is "that those are guest accounts" and if it was a concern then the admins should force employees to use a secure connection where the passwords reside on the AD or backend source and deny access to the guest SSID. Which can be done with Clearpass.

If the admins are only managing guest accounts then you can set it up so they can only connect to the guest side and with no access to passwords set in their profile. That is one of the advantages of having two separate interfaces.

This has been talked about with engineering and a feature request has been filed.