Security

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

This thread has been viewed 33 times
  • 1.  Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Aug 21, 2013 02:50 PM

Hey,

I have been spending a lot of time on the forums lately and have seen a lot of talk about the use of Endpoint attributes for Enforcement evaluation. This is something that I am familar with and I am using it currently.

When I look at the list of attributes that are available by default there is a large list which contains things like: OS Version, OS Type, Device Type, Device Vendor, etc.

Aruba_Endpoint_Info.png

In the upper rigth corner of the screenshot above there is some information about the device. To my knowledge you cannot use this information to evaluate the device with the exception of the 'MAC Vendor' as it is an item that shows up in the devices request (according to the Access Tracker).

My question, I think, mainly refers to the attributes in the bottom left of the screenshot above. These attributes mainly seem to get populated only when you Onboard a device. For instance, I Onbarded a Windows 7 laptop and the attribute 'Device Type' appeared with 'Windows 7 Service Pack 1'. I have not seen many other attributes populated automatically though. 'OS Version' and 'OS Type' I don't think I have ever seen populated. So I was wondering what process, or what feature, has to happen/be enabled in order to populate these attributes. Ideally it would be nice to see them populated automatically. Currently we are doing a lot of the populating manually.

We do have DHCP finger printing working.

I was thinking that perhaps some of the information could come from the Audit Servers - NMAP? Since NMAP has the capability to detect OS.

If someone could help shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers

• 2.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2013 03:52 PM

Whatever attribute you add manually to an Endpoint in the Endpoint Database can be used in role mapping later to make a decision.  Below I add a Colins-Favorite-Color attribute and make it green in a station's properties in the Endpoint Database:

1.png

I can then use a role mapping condition referencing that endpoint attribute in my service.  Any custom attribute I add, becomes a dropdown that is usable when I create a role mapping that begins with "Endpoint".

2.png

• 3.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Aug 21, 2013 04:59 PM

@cjoseph

Thank you for your response.

I was aware that we could add custom attributes and that we can then use them later to do role mapping and other things. This is definitely a great option to have.

I was more curious about the attributes that already exist by default. Since they exist in the CPPM by default there is intent for them to be used, I am just not sure if the intent was to have them populated manually (an admin adds a value) or for them to be populated by some other means.

Cheers

• 4.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2013 05:04 PM

The upper right attributes like MAC Vendor Can be used in Role Attributes, as well, using Authorization:Endpoints Repository.  I hope that is what you mean...

1.  The custom attributes in the dropdown that you have seen, probably have been added as a result of Onboarding adding a custom attribute to at lest one endpoint

2.  The Attributes in the Upper right Can also be used in Role Attributes

3.  You can also use IF-MAP to port the HTTP User Agent Strings and mDns Broadcast info from the controller into ClearPass (more than just DHCP fingerprinting):

6.3 release notes:

5.png

• 5.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2013 05:04 PM
    The attributes at the top right are generated from the profiling process
    which includes MAC OUI, DHCP fingerprinting and http header analysis.

Generally when the "profiled" status is yes, those attributes should be
    there.

• 6.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2013 05:35 PM

@bourne wrote:

@cjoseph

Thank you for your response.

I was aware that we could add custom attributes and that we can then use them later to do role mapping and other things. This is definitely a great option to have.

I was more curious about the attributes that already exist by default. Since they exist in the CPPM by default there is intent for them to be used, I am just not sure if the intent was to have them populated manually (an admin adds a value) or for them to be populated by some other means.

Cheers

Bourne,

Just to show you what can be done when you turn on IF-MAP on the controller:  I attached one iPad to the controller before turning on Ifmap, then I turned on IF-Map and attached another:

1.png

One is just classified as an IOS device:

2.png

The second is actually classified as an iPad:

3.png

IfMAP will send more granular information about your devices from your controller to CPPM, without onboarding for devices that share the same DHCP fingerprint like an iPad and an iPhone.

It will also pass on user-agent information, all without onboarding.

4.png

• 7.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Aug 21, 2013 07:33 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks a ton for the responses! The 'IF-MAP' feature was something that I was totally unaware of. It looks like it offers a more pin point finger print of what the device really is. Sounds like a great feature that I am definitely going to investigate and enable.

I just wanted to clarify on what I was trying to ask as I don't necessarily think I did such a good job on it.

Currently we use a custom attribute that is added to company owned Windows laptops. We do this to identify which devices have full access to our production network. Then in one of our Enforcement Profiles we use it to evaluate the user request. In order for a user to be allowed onto the wireless the request must come from a device which has this custom attribute (among other things).

When I look at the Event Viewer log I can see this attribute appear under the 'Computed Attributes' 

Endpoints_0001.png

If I look at the rest of the 'Computed Attributes' I do not see any of the other attributes/parameters generated by DHCP FP that are available in the Endpoint Profile of the device itself. Below is a screenshot of the Endpoint Profile for the device which is being used to make an authentication request.

Endpoints_0002.png

We do not Onboard these devices. We use EAP-PEAP to authenticate them.

If I look at the values that are available from the drop down list for 'Attributes' 

Endpoints_0003.png

I have marked the attributes that were added by us. Everything else in this list was already there. I believe this appears in the CPPM by default. These attributes are available to be evaluated in either your Role Mapping rules or in Enforment Policies.

Here is a shot from just an example Role Mapping rule

Endpoints_0004.png

Okay so hopefully I am not completely making this confusing up until this point. I thin I am having a hard time explaining what's going through my head :(

We say that we can use the values that are computed via DHCP finger printing, HTTP analysis, etc. to evaluate requests. I have been under the impression that we can only use values that actually show in the client request (show in the Event Viewer). So if we go back the screenshot of the client request above, there is no value that tells me what the Operating System is for exmaple. But we have a parameter from DHCP FP which is 'OS Family' = 'Windows' in the Endpoint Profile.

And if we look at the Attributes in the drop down list the ones that would identify the OS for example might be 'OS Version' or 'OS Type'.

But in the values available from the DHCP finger printing there is no parameter called 'OS Type'. There is however 'OS Family'. So does 'OS Type' = 'OS Family'? 

But even if it did, I don't think I could evaulate it because it isn't a 'Computed Attribute' contained within the Client Request. Because technically in the Endpoint Profile for the device the attribute hasn't been defined.

It would seem that when the attribues are 'computed' only attributes that have been defined in the 'Attributes' section of the Endpoint Profile can be used to do evaluation. The one exception to this (at least to me at this point) is the 'MAC Vendor' which can be evaluated using 'Connection:Client-Mac-Vendor'.

So to refine my original question. I don't think I am fully following how we can use the parameters generated by the DHCP FP, HTTP analysis, etc to evaluate a client request (with the exception of the 'MAC Vendor'). Aruba provides us a list in the drop down menu of the values that we can evaluate, we can add custom values, which great. But values generated by DHCP FP do not seem to be available.

Sorry for the long winded explanation! As I started to read your responses and go over my original question I started realizing maybe I didn't ask it correctly.

I don't think I did a much better job either, but hopefully I helped a little. There is probably something I am not getting!

Thanks again!

Cheers

• 8.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2013 07:46 PM

Do you have the [Endpoint Repository] [Local SQL DB] as an additional authorization souce in your service policy? You can only make policy decisions from computed attributes that are available from authentication and authorization sources in the service.

cp_authorization-endpoint.PNG

• 9.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2013 08:09 PM

Bourne,

The Endpoint user repository is a list of device attributes, by mac address.  You can turn on Machine Authentication on your domain machines, and CPPM will store a custom role of [MACHINE AUTHENTICATED] that you can always use to evaluate along with user authentication to validate a machine.  For devices that are non-domain, you can simply add an attribute manually to the device's entry in the endpoint repository and combine that with user authentication for elevated privileges, or onboard those devices that have not machine authenticated.

Endpoint attributes are normally collected after the device does DHCP (fingerprinting) or after the device opens an http conversation (user agent).  Both attributes can ONLY be collected after initial authentication, so you cannot collect them realtime during authentication to make a decision; it is stored information from a previous connection.

To be truly secure you can deploy EAP-TLS using autoenrollment through a combination of group policy and onboarding for non-domain devices.  The only thing you would be checking is the validity of the certificate and you can also check the status of the computer or user account that would be attached to that certificate.  

Long story short, don't put yourself through the trouble of checking tons of attributes when maybe EAP-TLS and/or machine authentication would be the simpler solution.

• 10.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Aug 21, 2013 09:20 PM

@cappalli

I confirmed that I do NOT have [Endpoint Repository] [Local SQL DB] in the Authorization list!

As soon as you mentioned it you sparked a bunch of thoughts in my head. This could definitely explain

a few things. I unfortunately am no longer at work and will have to wait until tomorrow to do a test. I will get testint first thing in the morning. If this is the thing that I am missing then I feel like a complete moron because it is very obvious having seen it!

Thank you sir.

@cjoseph

I 100% agree that perhaps the role [MACHINE AUTHENTICATED] is better to use.

At the time we initally developed our rules doing machine authentication was not possible. We do not have AD and were having problems getting machines to authenticate against our OpenLDAP. Eventually we discovered what we were doing wrong, but this was much later after we built the rules.

I follow you with regards to the attributes and when they are collected! And I have see it first hand as well through testing.

I would agree that EAP-TLS is the better way to go. We have been avoiding Onboarding company owned laptops because we do not want to consume an Onboard license. But we still wanted to maintain some control over what devices were able to connect.

That being said it might be a good time to re-evaluate how we are authorizing company owned laptops/computers and see if there is a better more straight forward way of doing it.

I definitely appreciate your feedback! Thank you!

Cheers

• 11.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Aug 22, 2013 08:53 AM

Okay I finally figured out where I was going wrong!

@cappalli

Your suggestion did work. I was just an idiot and missed it.

The values that get added show up under the 'Authorization Attributes'. I was stubborn and kept looking under 'Computed Attributes'. I wasn't paying attention to what was really going on which is 100% my fault.

Now, the other thing is that this whole time while trying to create rules using the values generated by DHCP FP I have been trying to use 'Type' = 'Endpoint'.

When I should have been using 'Type' = 'Authorization:[Endpoints Repository]'

Now I see all the values like 'OS Family', 'Category', 'Device Name', etc

Endpoints_0005.png

I don't know how I have missed this option for so long! It never dawned on me to check to see if this was even available. I was just being stubborn I guess.

Thanks for everyones help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I added the [Endpoints Repository] [Local SQL DB] to the 'Authorization' sources.

No change in the information available in the user request.

Only values that are defined in the 'Attributes' section of the Endpoint Profile are available to be used to evaluate user requests.

Thanks again for the help,

Cheers

• 12.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Apr 06, 2015 05:55 AM

We found "Endpoint missing in db".

Went to Configuration » Identity » Endpoints, to add the mac... but the endpoints are showing No under Profiled... Need to change it to Yes? ____ How to change it to Yes? ____

What is the most simplest way of adding an endpoint in db?

Sounds simple, right? ____ 

Haiz... I tried to google and find but to no avail...

Pls share if you have useful links...

• 13.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 06, 2015 06:27 AM

msaw,

What exactly are you trying to do?

• 14.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Apr 06, 2015 10:23 AM
    I want to add 3 devices in the endpoint database.
    But I could not find the procedure...

• 15.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 06, 2015 10:25 AM

Do you mean manually or automatically?  What are you having problems with?

• 16.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Apr 06, 2015 10:29 AM
    I wanted to add 3 windows devices into the endpoint database... I was trying to find the procedure from the user guide in 6.5. I'm ok with either manual or automatic endpoint device adding, as long as the device is added in the database...

• 17.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 06, 2015 10:35 AM

Msaw,

Under Identity> Endpoints Database, there is an add button if you want to add devices manually. 

If look in the online help for the chapter, "ClearPass Policy Manager Profile" you will see the methods to add endpoints automatically.

• 18.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 06, 2015 10:35 AM

Msaw,

Under Identity> Endpoints Database, there is an add button if you want to add devices manually. 

If you go to https://<ipaddressofcppm>/tipshelp/html/en/index.htm#CPPM_UserGuide/PolicyProfile/ProfileOverview.html%3FTocPath%3DClearPass%20Manager%20Policy%20Profile%7C_____0    you will see the methods to automatically profile and add devices to the endpoints database.

• 19.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Apr 21, 2015 01:00 AM

DHCP fingerprinting on the Clearpass was working after adding the "DHCP helper IP" on the network devices...

Cheers!

• 20.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Aug 22, 2013 10:27 AM

@cjoseph

I was looking into the IF-MAP feature.

I found this PDF which stats that we need AOS 6.3.

Our Controller is still on 6.1.3

IF-MAP will not be available to us to  toggle on and off?

I have been looking through the AOS Command Line Interface Reference Guide and haven't been able to find any reference to IF-MAP.

• 21.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

MVP
    Posted Aug 22, 2013 02:21 PM

Correct.. the option simply is not there yet. No button to push :)

• 22.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Aug 22, 2013 02:25 PM

Darn...

Wish there was a commandline option for it! I would really like to test it out.

• 23.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

MVP
    Posted Aug 23, 2013 06:42 AM

There's not alot to it...

From the 6.3 cli manual:

ifmap cppm
     enable
     no
     server host <host>
     port <port>
     username<username>
     passwd <password>

Parameter Description Default
    enable Enables the IFMAP protocol. —
    server Configures the CPPM IF-MAP server. —
    host <host> IP address/hostname of the CPPM IF-MAP server. —
    port <port> Port number for the CPPM IF-MAP server. The range is 1-65535. 443
    username<username> Username for the user who performs actions on the CPPM IFMAP server. The name must be between 1-255 bytes in length. 

passwd <password> Password of the user who performs actions on the CPPM IFMAP server. The password must be between 6-100 bytes in length. —

• 24.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2013 07:36 AM

When we configured it, we made a local CPPM admin user account for each
    controller with the API admin role.

• 25.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Aug 23, 2013 08:34 AM

That's great.

Does seem pretty straight forward.

Thanks @koenv

I wasn't able to locate the CLI reference guides for 6.3 on the Aruba support site. I did a Google search though and was able to track it down.

How are you guys already running 6.3? Is it some sort of early release access?

Is the 'API Admin Role' the role that has the necessary permissions to process the IFMAP information?

• 26.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2013 08:59 AM

You can access 6.3 on the support site under Early Deployment.

support-aruba-63.PNG

The API Administrator role definitely has "enough" access rights for the IF-MAP information. It may actually have more permission than it needs. We're waiting for confirmation on what access it truly needs so we can create a role with access to only what it needs.

• 27.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Aug 23, 2013 09:14 AM

That's awesome! I have to talk with the rest of my team and see if it is something we want to try out.

What is the risk of going with an early deployment release? Is it recommend for production environments? Or lab only?

That sounds like a great idea! Create a user that has just enough.

When you receive that information would you be able to pass it along?

• 28.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Sep 11, 2013 12:56 AM

All,

I'm sure it's obvious and I'm just missing it, but how do you enable IF-MAP in Clearpass? I set it up in 6.3 with an API user but am currently getting the following from the CLI:

(Test-Controller-6.3) #show ifmap state cppm

CPPM IF-MAP Connection State [Interface: Enabled]
    -------------------------------------------------
    Server State
    ------ -----
    MYSERVER.DOMAIN.LOCAL:443 DOWN

Thanks!

-Mike

• 29.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Sep 11, 2013 12:59 AM

Try switching to the IP. I started off with hostname and got the same results. Switched to using the IP of the CPPm and everything started working.

• 30.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 11, 2013 01:02 AM

Today It only works with the admin username and password

• 31.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Sep 11, 2013 08:30 AM

@cappalli

How were you able to get a user to perform IF-MAP with the API rights? Did you set the admin to API-only rights?

Thanks!

-Mike

• 32.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Sep 11, 2013 08:34 AM

Bourne and Troy,

Thanks for the help! Here's what it now looks like with the admin password and the IP:

Test-Controller) #show ifmap state cppm

Server State
    ------ -----
    10.10.102.253:443 UP

(Test-Controller) #

Thanks!

-Mike

• 33.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 11, 2013 08:43 AM

Troy,

How can we verify that ClearPass is updating attributes from the IF-MAP information? Is it logged?

Thanks

• 34.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Sep 11, 2013 08:53 AM

@cappalli

I tested this by first looking at a device that had been profiled with IF-MAP off.

I then deleted it from the Endpoints DD, enabled IF-MAP, and allowed it to be profiled again.

I then compared the two profiles together and I noticed the difference.

This is the only way that I know to do it and I think it was @cjoseph who explained this. His post is on the first page of this post.

Not sure if there is a better way. Maybe there might be a log inside the controller that would reveal this?

No problem @boston1630 glad to help.

Cheers

• 35.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 11, 2013 09:28 AM

Turn on debugging in the system for the mapc process, then parse the system log for mapc:

config t
    logging level debugging system process mapc
    show log system all | include mapc

Sep 11 08:26:08 :309056:  <DBUG> |mapc|  exec(req46@MAPC-2<49156>): Publishing mDNS info for mac:4c:e6:76:fd:7b:d7
    Sep 11 08:26:08 :309056:  <DBUG> |mapc|  exec(req47@MAPC-3<65541>): Publishing mDNS info for mac:4c:e6:76:fd:7b:d7
    Sep 11 08:26:08 :309048:  <DBUG> |mapc|  Successfully Publish Request(req46) to IF-MAP server https://192.168.1.32:443/ifmap using Conn:0-4
    Sep 11 08:26:08 :309048:  <DBUG> |mapc|  Successfully Publish Request(req47) to IF-MAP server https://192.168.1.32:443/ifmap using Conn:1-4
    Sep 11 08:26:11 :309054:  <DBUG> |mapc|  exec(req48@MAPC-1<32771>): Publishing user agent string for wireless-MAC/IP=d0:e7:82:7b:65:ca/192.168.1.125 UA-Str="Mozilla/5.0 (CrKey armv7l 1.1...."
    Sep 11 08:26:11 :309048:  <DBUG> |mapc|  Successfully Publish Request(req48) to IF-MAP server https://192.168.1.32:443/ifmap using Conn:2-4
    Sep 11 08:26:11 :309054:  <DBUG> |mapc|  exec(req49@MAPC-1<32771>): Publishing user agent string for wireless-MAC/IP=b0:ee:45:49:6f:b6/192.168.1.124 UA-Str="Mozilla/5.0 (CrKey armv7l 1.1...."
    Sep 11 08:26:11 :309048:  <DBUG> |mapc|  Successfully Publish Request(req49) to IF-MAP server https://192.168.1.32:443/ifmap using Conn:0-4
    Sep 11 08:26:12 :309054:  <DBUG> |mapc|  exec(req50@MAPC-3<65541>): Publishing user agent string for wireless-MAC/IP=00:23:6c:90:05:11/192.168.1.67 UA-Str="Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel ..."
    Sep 11 08:26:12 :309048:  <DBUG> |mapc|  Successfully Publish Request(req50) to IF-MAP server https://192.168.1.32:443/ifmap using Conn:1-4
    Sep 11 08:26:24 :309056:  <DBUG> |mapc|  exec(req51@MAPC-1<32771>): Publishing mDNS info for mac:4c:e6:76:fd:7b:d7
    Sep 11 08:26:24 :309056:  <DBUG> |mapc|  exec(req52@MAPC-2<49156>): Publishing mDNS info for mac:4c:e6:76:fd:7b:d7
    Sep 11 08:26:24 :309048:  <DBUG> |mapc|  Successfully Publish Request(req51) to IF-MAP server https://192.168.1.32:443/ifmap using Conn:2-4
    Sep 11 08:26:24 :309048:  <DBUG> |mapc|  Successfully Publish Request(req52) to IF-MAP server https://192.168.1.32:443/ifmap using Conn:0-4
    Sep 11 08:26:53 :309056:  <DBUG> |mapc|  exec(req53@MAPC-3<65541>): Publishing mDNS info for mac:00:23:6c:90:05:11
    Sep 11 08:26:53 :309048:  <DBUG> |mapc|  Successfully Publish Request(req53) to IF-MAP server https://192.168.1.32:443/ifmap using Conn:1-4

• 36.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Nov 14, 2014 10:50 AM

When defining the IF-MAP server to use on the controller, you have to specify a port number. Our clearpass servers redirect http to https so am I supposed to just specify 443? I only ask because I tried that but running the show ifmap cppm command only gave me

(aruba0) (config) #show ifmap cppm

CPPM IF-MAP Profile
    -------------------
    Parameter              Value
    ---------              -----
    CPPM IF-MAP Interface  Enabled
    CPPM IF-MAP Server     144.32.128.68:443 imfadmin/********

user imfadmin is set up on the clearpass server as an API Admin account. Our controllers are runnnig 6.3.<something>

Rgds

Alex

• 37.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Nov 14, 2014 10:58 AM

You have it configured the right way.

Port 443

You can run the following to confirm is working

(MASTER-CONTROLLER) #show ifmap state cppm

Server State
    ------ -----
    192.168.1.102:443 UP

• 38.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2014 11:08 AM

yes, port 443

• 39.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Nov 14, 2014 11:28 AM

May have configured it properly,but what I get is

(aruba0) #show ifmap state cppm

Server             State
    ------             -----
    144.32.128.68:443  DOWN

and I know the server ain't down coz I'm logged into it and its authenticating people.

What happens if the controller is talking to 443 and can't verify the clearpass cert?

A

• 40.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Nov 14, 2014 11:30 AM

Thats probably because the username/password is failing 

Use your admin / password 

• 41.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2014 11:32 AM

Did you create the user in the admin user repository or local user repository?

Also, take a look higher in this thread for the debug commands.

• 42.  RE: Endpoints database and the Available Attributes

Posted Nov 14, 2014 11:53 AM

o.k. changed the userid to be admin and not my created one and i now get a status of UP. Guess my permissions of API admin weren't enough

Rgds

A