Security

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Failthrough using RADIUS and Clearpass

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Failthrough using RADIUS and Clearpass

Posted Dec 01, 2014 05:09 PM

I am attempting ot set up a wireless SSID that 2 groups of users can connect to, 1 set of users uses clearpass which is connected to a company AD server. The other group of users has a RADIUS connection on the controller to another DC under another company IT department. I have it set up so that when a user authenticates successfully using the RADIUS connection with the external company they are shuttled into a particular VLAN. The other gets the default VLAN for the VAP.

The problem is that in order to allow these two to coexist I need users of the external company to be able to get rejected auth against the clearpass server (I'm not worried about the load for rejections as they are a small subset of users). I set it up so it has fail through, which means since it's 802.1x i need to terminate at the controller, which i've done. The problem is that once it terminates the EAP-PEAP EAP-MSCHAP at the controller, if it attempts to fail from authenticating to the external radius first and then moves on to clearpass, clearpass spits out a message in access tracker saying "Cannot select appropriate authentication method".

Is there a situation I can get this to work other than setting up the Clearpass server to also be a radius client for the other company's DC, and spitting that user back to the controller in a different role that then maps the alternate VLAN?

Am I missing something?

• 2.  RE: Failthrough using RADIUS and Clearpass

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 01, 2014 05:10 PM

You can use the RADIUS proxy feature to send requests for those users to another RADIUS server.

• 3.  RE: Failthrough using RADIUS and Clearpass
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 01, 2014 05:11 PM

You need to look at the attributes of the incoming radius request that is not classified and see why it is not being classified by clearpass.

• 4.  RE: Failthrough using RADIUS and Clearpass

Posted Dec 01, 2014 05:45 PM

Thanks for the tips! Turns out I had added the MSCHAPv2 but not the basic MSCHAP authentication source to Clearpass, so it didn't know what to do with the inner auth.