Security

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Firewall SSO via RADIUS Accounting Using Filter-ID with NPS

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Firewall SSO via RADIUS Accounting Using Filter-ID with NPS

Posted Apr 08, 2015 11:30 AM

I've configured our 802.1x SSIDs to send RADIUS accounting information to our firewall to associate users/computers with IP addresses. We are using Microsoft's NPS server using the User-Name and Class attributes. The Class attribute associates the user/computer with a firewall group. Some entries don't have the group entry. Doing a packet capture at the firewall shows that not all packets have the Class attribute. I think it is the same NPS issue discussed on this page, http://www.nicklowe.org/2013/08/nps-class-attribute-bug/

So, what I'd like to try is using the Filter-Id attribute instead. After telling the firewall to use the Filter-Id, no group info is populated at the firewall.

Doing a packet capture on the NPS server shows the Filter-ID attribute in the Access-Accept packets. 

A debug on the controller shows the field:

Apr 8 10:16:27 :121031: <DBUG> |authmgr| |aaa| [rc_api.c:1156] Filter-Id: TestGroup

Doing a capture of the accounting packet at the firewall doesn't show the field. 

It is as if the controller isn't passing the Filter-Id to the firewall in the accounting packet. Has anyone seen this or have any suggestions on how to resolve it? Or am I looking at this entirely wrong?

Thanks,
    Robert

• 2.  RE: Firewall SSO via RADIUS Accounting Using Filter-ID with NPS

Posted Apr 08, 2015 03:45 PM

If I'm looking at the correct RFC, it looks like Filter-Id is a valid attribute for RADIUS accounting.

• 3.  RE: Firewall SSO via RADIUS Accounting Using Filter-ID with NPS

Posted Feb 11, 2020 10:27 PM

Did you get a resolution to this issue?