Security

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Guest authentication by sending sms

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Guest authentication by sending sms

Posted Nov 21, 2017 03:15 AM

Currently I have an open SSID with guest authentication via sms. Clients authenticate by entering their phonenumber in the captive portal and the sms-gateway will send them their login-code.

+/- 5000 sms/month... and I'm paying for this :(

So I am looking for a solution where the client sends a code (e.g. provide by the captive portal) by sms to a specific number and then get instant access to the wireless network.

Any idea if this is possible with clearpass and if so, how to set this up?

Thanks !

• 2.  RE: Guest authentication by sending sms

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 21, 2017 04:27 AM

How would the client get the code?  What would the client need to know to put the code in?

• 3.  RE: Guest authentication by sending sms

Posted Nov 21, 2017 04:38 AM

thank you for your reply.

E.g. when a client connect with an SSID, he get a captive portal that will provide the client (mac address) a unique code, "send "code" to 1234 and get access to the Free WiFi network".

The sms provider then knows the phone number of the client and send it back with the received code to clearpass, so then clearpass can match the phone number to the mac address of the client.

something like this ???

• 4.  RE: Guest authentication by sending sms

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 21, 2017 04:57 AM

But anyone that can "see" that network can get a code, then?  If only authorized people can "see" and connect to the network, just let them click "accept" and let them on.  If unauthorized people can see the network, you might as well just put a username and password by the receptionist that everyone has access to.

• 5.  RE: Guest authentication by sending sms

Posted Nov 21, 2017 05:06 AM

It's intended for a public WiFi network. So anyone can connect to the network, only, for legal purposes I need to authenticate the user. sms (phone number) is the only accepted authentication method.

• 6.  RE: Guest authentication by sending sms

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 21, 2017 05:30 AM

Clearpass cannot read SMS, only send them.

If you implement it the way you want, you would need to be able to tell people what the SMS number is securely and decide what numbers you are going to respond to.

• 7.  RE: Guest authentication by sending sms

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 21, 2017 08:56 AM
    You'd need to write your own web app to handle that workflow and interact with ClearPass via the REST API.