Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Guests complaining about accessing their email while on our guest wifi

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Guests complaining about accessing their email while on our guest wifi

Posted Jun 29, 2016 02:32 PM

I have many users complaining about using gmail app, hotmail/outlook app, or any other email app from their devices, mostly iPhones/iPads. I have tested with 3 different android based devices, they work fine. If I had some people test using gmail app and mail app on one iPhone and one iPad. They just sit and do nothing. The perosn I had test it change to 4G and itr worked fine. I did not see it getting blocked on the controller. I had the person try and go through Safari on the iPhone to gmail and he was able to get email. On the controller in the guest role, I have email as allowable. Any ideas what the difference with Android and Apple apps for emails?

• 2.  RE: Guests complaining about accessing their email while on our guest wifi
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 29, 2016 03:19 PM

Start by not blocking anything, and then take it from there..

• 3.  RE: Guests complaining about accessing their email while on our guest wifi

Posted Aug 17, 2016 03:02 PM

I'm using a Dell PowerConnect W-Series set of APs (W-AP205). My guest network is not allowing iphones to send or receive Gmail through the native IOS mail app.

The firmware is version 6.4.2.6-4.1.1.6_50009.

I have tried disabling all the intrusion protection settings. I am not blocking any kind of access or traffic on this guest network.

Native gmail app works fine on iPhones, as do Android mail clients.

This is affecting all iPhones in our organization. 

Per another post on this forum, I also tried changing the network type from Guest to Employee. I did not see any UI for enabling specific ports. 

Any advice on next steps?

• 4.  RE: Guests complaining about accessing their email while on our guest wifi

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 18, 2016 09:32 AM

What is the configuration for that SSID?  What DNS server is being supplied to those clients?

• 5.  RE: Guests complaining about accessing their email while on our guest wifi

Posted Aug 18, 2016 02:25 PM
    Hello Colin,

The SSID is set up for guest access, and is routing through our SOPHOS UTM. That UTM is providing DNS to the wireless clients, which is just Google's 8.8.8.8.

WAP04# show access-rule NAXION-guest

Access Rules
    ------------
    Dest IP Dest Mask Dest Match Protocol (id:sport:eport) Application Action Log TOS 802.1P Blacklist App Throttle (Up:Down) Mirror DisScan ClassifyMedia
    ------- --------- ---------- ------------------------- ----------- ------ --- --- ------ --------- ---------------------- ------ ------- -------------
    any any match any permit
    Vlan Id :0
    ACL Captive Portal:disable
    ACL ECP Profile :default
    CALEA :disable
    Bandwidth Limit :upstream disable
    WAP04#

215.496.6834 | jstern@naxionthinking.com
    naxionthinking.com

[cid:image001.png@01D1F95C.2B24BB30]

• 6.  RE: Guests complaining about accessing their email while on our guest wifi

Posted Aug 19, 2016 04:29 PM

Dell Networking support led me to the solution to this issue. I had to disable Broadcast filtering on the guest network in order for Skype for Business and the stock Mail app in IOS to function properly.

This option is in the Advanced section of the WLAN settings:

2016-08-19_16-21-36.png

After I made this change, iPhone users needed to forget and then reconnect to the guest network.

Thanks to Richard Keith at Dell Pro Support for the fix! 

• 7.  RE: Guests complaining about accessing their email while on our guest wifi

Posted Sep 19, 2019 12:02 PM

Applying the allowall firewall policy immediately fixed my issue of Apple IOS default email client failing to send/receive emails on the Guest network.. 

Thanks